Coccidiosis

Jun 8, 2018
Central Texas
how will I know if my baby chicks have coccidiosis she is 9 days old and yesterday I noticed her poop was a little reddish brown she’s eating well and drinking not lethargic at all and if it is how to treat it she had pasty but few days when she was about 5 days old but has been good every sense any advice would be appreciated

how will I know if my baby chicks have coccidiosis she is 9 days old and yesterday I noticed her poop was a little reddish brown she’s eating well and drinking not lethargic at all and if it is how to treat it she had pasty but few days when she was about 5 days old but has been good every sense any advice would be appreciated
Symptoms of Coccidiosis overload include loose droppings with mucous or blood, lethargy, going off feed, listlessness, unkempt feathers, huddled/puffed up appearance.

If she is active, eating/drinking - then it sounds like she is fine.
Chicken poop can vary greatly. There are 2 types of poop - one is "normal" - this is a formed poop with a white cap, the other is Cecal Poop - this is a loose stool that it sticky, stinky, pudding like, can be a bit watery if the chickens been drinking a lot of water. Color can vary from light to almost black - a lot depends on diet.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/

Symptoms of Coccidiosis overload include loose droppings with mucous or blood, lethargy, going off feed, listlessness, unkempt feathers, huddled/puffed up appearance.

Chicken poop can vary greatly. There are 2 types of poop - one is "normal" - this is a formed poop with a white cap, the other is Cecal Poop - this is a loose stool that it sticky, stinky, pudding like, can be a bit watery if the chickens been drinking a lot of water. Color can vary from light to almost black - a lot depends on diet.

Thank you I was worried she’s eating non medicated chick feed and get fresh water daily what are your thoughts on medicated chick feed should I be giving my baby’s that? I’m pretty new to chicken keeping learning as I go

Medicated feed is a personal choice. I don't use it, but I do give my chicks a plug of sod along with dirt from the chicken runs to expose them to any pathogens that they may encounter.
Medicated feed won't hurt them, it has a very small amount of Coccidiostat (usually Amprolium), this is supposed to inhibit the overgrowth of Coccidia so chicks can build resistance.

Chicks on medicated starter can still have an overload, so it's really up to you.

Medicated feed is a personal choice. I don't use it, but I do give my chicks a plug of sod along with dirt from the chicken runs to expose them to any pathogens that they may encounter.
Medicated feed won't hurt them, it has a very small amount of Coccidiostat (usually Amprolium), this is supposed to inhibit the overgrowth of Coccidia so chicks can build resistance.

Chicks on medicated starter can still have an overload, so it's really up to you.
Thank you

One more Question what are your thoughts on probiotics is that also a personal preference again thank you in advance
Most feeds contain probiotics look at your labeling.
Feed should be as fresh as possible, look at the mill date on bags since vitamins/minerals degrade over time.
Of course probiotics are again a personal choice:) I see no harm in using them once a week or so.

@Wyorp Rock at what age do you give the chicks dirt from the run?

Back
Top Bottom