Coccidiosis???

Kenzie22

Chirping
Oct 2, 2021
How do you tell if chickens have coccidiosis? Pictures of coccidiosis poop would also be very helpful to compare to!! Also, if my chickens have it, can I transfer it through to our dogs? The dogs are indoor the chickens are not.

Last edited:
The only true way to confirm coccidiosis is with a vet fecal float. If you can, do that.

If that is not possible (as not all vets treat chickens), then general assumption of symptoms is to be relied upon.

Usually it hits somewhere between 8 to 16 weeks of age, but can occur earlier around 4 weeks, or anytime in a chicken's life if the immune system is compromised or if there is environmental overgrowth of the coccidia protozoa (which abound everywhere but are held in check by clean litter and grounds). Coccidia like moisture and dirty litter or contaminated soil. (The adults bursts in their burrowed gut lining giving off egg cysts called oocyts which the hen passes with poo to gather on the ground to be taken in by the next chicken in an ever elevating cycle until there is enough load to overwhelm the immune system of a bird).

Symptoms are listlessness, huddled, fluffed appearance, diarrhea, and in particular bloody diarrhea (although that is generally later stage and only if the coccidia are in a lower intestinal tract).

Treatment of overload is Corid in the water. Medicated chick feed can help birds build immunity while they grow, or treat a very mild overgrowth, but for an outbreak you will need Corid. (Do not waste your time with herbals.)

My Vet Tech daughter tells me different coccidia are very species specific, so what hits your chickens will not infect your dogs and vice versa.

Here is a poo chart to compare normal vs abnormal poo.

Good luck with your birds. If in doubt, it doesn't hurt to treat. You can treat with Corid without egg withdrawal, but I don't like to eat eggs if the birds are unwell.

LofMc

https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/

Oh...and obviously clean your litter and burn it. Don't put it on your garden or anyplace on your property as you need to get rid of the oocysts so they can't be "recycled" by the birds.

LofMc

The only true way to confirm coccidiosis is with a vet fecal float. If you can, do that.

If that is not possible (as not all vets treat chickens), then general assumption of symptoms is to be relied upon.

Usually it hits somewhere between 8 to 16 weeks of age, but can occur earlier around 4 weeks, or anytime in a chicken's life if the immune system is compromised or if there is environmental overgrowth of the coccidia protozoa (which abound everywhere but are held in check by clean litter and grounds). Coccidia like moisture and dirty litter or contaminated soil. (The adults bursts in their burrowed gut lining giving off egg cysts called oocyts which the hen passes with poo to gather on the ground to be taken in by the next chicken in an ever elevating cycle until there is enough load to overwhelm the immune system of a bird).

Symptoms are listlessness, huddled, fluffed appearance, diarrhea, and in particular bloody diarrhea (although that is generally later stage and only if the coccidia are in a lower intestinal tract).

Treatment of overload is Corid in the water. Medicated chick feed can help birds build immunity while they grow, or treat a very mild overgrowth, but for an outbreak you will need Corid. (Do not waste your time with herbals.)

My Vet Tech daughter tells me different coccidia are very species specific, so what hits your chickens will not infect your dogs and vice versa.

Here is a poo chart to compare normal vs abnormal poo.

Good luck with your birds. If in doubt, it doesn't hurt to treat. You can treat with Corid without egg withdrawal, but I don't like to eat eggs if the birds are unwell.

LofMc

https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/
I looked over and read that article, but there are none that relate to coccidiosis at all.

Back
Top Bottom