Coccidiosis

I had severe cocci this summer it was a nightmare. I did the corid treatment but it wasn’t enough, it kept coming back. Once I went to the sulfa it did the trick. My last batch I just hatched did not get cocci. They did get corid though for a little bit.

Every so often they get a preventative dosage in their water now for 5 days 1/2 tsp per gallon changed daily followed by vitamins. I clean my coop often too and I learned a lot about keeping things dry!

I had severe cocci this summer it was a nightmare. I did the corid treatment but it wasn’t enough, it kept coming back. Once I went to the sulfa it did the trick. My last batch I just hatched did not get cocci. They did get corid though for a little bit.

Every so often they get a preventative dosage in their water now for 5 days 1/2 tsp per gallon changed daily followed by vitamins. I clean my coop often too and I learned a lot about keeping things dry!
Do you remember about how long after the sulfa drugs the chickens started feeling better? Mine still hasn’t stood up. She tries when I help her but she’s really weak still.

Do you remember about how long after the sulfa drugs the chickens started feeling better? Mine still hasn’t stood up. She tries when I help her but she’s really weak still.
Mine had severe blood, it was on day two/three of day five did the blood go away

I culled 2 before I had a understanding what was going on :(
Oh gosh, I’m sorry! The day we found her just laying down in the coop, we took her to an avian vet, luckily we have one nearby. But even she is confused about what is going on. Chickens don’t make it easy on us, even for the avian vets!

Oh gosh, I’m sorry! The day we found her just laying down in the coop, we took her to an avian vet, luckily we have one nearby. But even she is confused about what is going on. Chickens don’t make it easy on us, even for the avian vets!
I bet! I’m 7 years into chickens and it’s always a learning experience. When you think you know it all, Pandora’s box opens and your back to figuring it out!

You are lucky to have a avian vet! Are they expensive??

I bet! I’m 7 years into chickens and it’s always a learning experience. When you think you know it all, Pandora’s box opens and your back to figuring it out!

You are lucky to have an avian vet! Are they expensive??
We are only seven months in and it has been rough! Apparently the business we bought them from doesn’t have the healthiest chickens so one died a few months ago unexpectedly and now this one is sick and we don’t know for sure what’s happening.

The avian vet charges a normal office fee. In our area that’s $89. That is the same that the vet that sees our cats and dogs charges. The avian vet also sees other animals and she is in a practice with other vets that see like cats and dogs. She’s very honest about how these birds can be hard to diagnose.

This morning the chicken is still not standing, eating or drinking on her own. Her medicine is done tomorrow but I’ll have to keep her alive until Tuesday if I’m going to send her to the lab for testing. I hope she isn’t suffering.

Back
Top Bottom