Coccidiosis

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
Anyone else noticing this being worse than usual so far this year. I'm quite sure it has to do with the very wet weather we are having this Spring. I have seen a few piles of droppings pinker than I have ever seen before.

It's been super wet here & no sight of Cocci. No medicated feed either . . .
hmm.png

I did have cocci run through this batch of 106 chicks (28 meaties, rest ISA Browns). That's the first time I've seen it hit the chicks. Thankfully, all survived it and other than one droopy layer chick and a bunch of scary looking solid blood poops there was little effect and it didn't last long. I don't use medicated feed and I had heard that by time you see bloody poop it's too late, so I never treated them for it either. The meaties dressed out at appropriate weights for their ages so, it must have been one of the milder strains of cocci.

Now there are swarms of buffalo gnats looking to do in the young pullets.
hmm.png

We have a batch that is having issues with cocci. We just moved them yesterday into a much larger tractor and an entirely different pasture so we are hoping that will help. We have lost only 2 out of 55 so far, but we don't want to lose more. I have heard that putting some acv in the water can help but want to make sure it won't flavor the meat (they still have a ways to go as they are 4.5wks right now). They currently get Welp's broiler vitamins in their water. If we use acv, should we use it in addition to the vitamins or in place of them? How much acv per gallon? Thanks!

Heather, I do not know all of the answers to your question but I had a bout of it with one group of my AM's. I have never dealt with it before and did a search and figured out that it was Cocci. I lost 2 total. I syringed the ones in bad shape and then I but 3 syringes which equals 9ml into a gallon of water and gave it to them for 1 week. Not sure about the Cornish X though. My AM's recovered and are doing fine now. The group older and younger did not get it. Go figure.
hu.gif
Good Luck to you.

Nancy

Quote:

Thankfully, we haven't had any issues with Cocci, either. It has been an extremely wet May for us.

Potterwatch - When I've put ACV in the water, it's been a tablespoon or two to every one gallon of water. It's been a while since I've put any in my waterers. Hoping somebody else chimes in for ya with their thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom