Cochin Bantam Making a Nest in Sand?

kalaim

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
The last couple days one of my bantams have been making a small little depression in the sand and seems to sit in there a few minutes.

She is only about 13 weeks, so I was told when I got her. There are two others I got at the same time, and they aren't doing this.

I'm just finishing up my nest box, so I will be installing that this weekend hopefully, so they get used to it.

Is this just a practice thing, or maybe nothing at all? Or she could be older than I was told?
I got her about 4 weeks ago and was told she was 9 weeks old.

She's taking a dust bath!

just do a search for "dirt bath" or "dust bath" on here and you'll find lots of descriptive info.

She's acting normally. In fact, if your birds are penned up, you should always provide a spot for them to bathe, as it makes them feel clean and prevents lice and mites. Just get a box, fill it half with dirt and half with sand, and watch them go at it! They also will peck out tiny pebbles while they're bathing so they can grind up their food in their digestive system properly.

I've seen them take dust baths in the sand, but this one just sits in her little depression she made?

Maybe she uses it later as her bath when I'm not there, that could be a possibility.

I will do that though, mix the dirt and sand together for a bath, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom