Cochin bantam not doing well... HELP

natalie1136

Songster
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
Dennison Illinois
SHE IS LAYING AROUND EATING AND DRINKING VERY LITTLE. POOP LOOKS NORMAL, NEED HELP BEFORE I LOSE MY COCHIN.

I'm not sure, but i think she is trying to lay her first egg. She dosen't have any other symptoms except not very active (like not at all). How will i know if she is having trouble laying this egg. If that is what it is.

Please chime in i need help.

Last edited:
Most of the time her comb is pink. I felt her lower abdomen last night and i think i felt an egg. She is not swollen though and the egg felt small. I looked in on her a few minutes ago and she is standing and drinking. We gave her electrolytes and vitamins, and a heat lamp last night. Do you think she is kinda freaked out about this egg? Thanks for the reply. I thought i was going to loose her yesterday, because she laid with her face down and butt up and that's not normal for her.

Natalie

Could be eggbinding. Rub some olive oil inside her vent and push gently on her abdomen (push toward her butt). If you can, stop by your vet and see if they will give her a shot of Oxytocin (I think that's what it's called, causes contractions and will help her pass the egg). I don't remember how much a bantam chicken is supposed to get, but I will look up the dosage when I get home. There are some herbs that cause contractions too (I think), but I don't remember what they're called.

Quote:
Thanks, i put her in warm water for about 20 minutes today, but she still hasn't laid that egg. I feel it low, it's by the bones, like maybe her ribs. She keeps moving her bottom, but nothing. She dosen't act like she hurts though. I think the egg has moved a little since the warm water. She is eating and drinking much better. She also stands and walks today, no leaning. I'll try the olive oil thing.

Natalie

I give my Moderns half a tablet of Motrin 200mg, and the weigh 22 ounces. Any kind of ibuprofin will work, but be sure that she gets 100mg only, so half if, third it, fourth it, something.

Back
Top Bottom