Cochin Bantam Pics. I need your help

Birdie2019

Songster
May 12, 2020
Florida
So I LOVE the Cochin Bantam Chicken breed. Thing is, I still don’t *really* know what they’re supposed to look like. I do have a hobby of drawing, and (though really far down on my list) I want to eventually draw the standard for Cochin Bantams. Not every bird is perfect. I won’t only draw ONE picture, I will mix and match (this one has good shape, the other has a good head, one has a great comb, and another may have a great cushion, for example). So I need YOUR HELP finding (hen or rooster, any variety is fine) many birds with different strengths and weaknesses. This is what I have so far: 0C508E41-0B61-4F42-86D5-FA503E2B4624.jpeg
I don’t know what a good head looks like, but this looks like a good shape. She is also VERY round and beautiful, with great wing carriage and very fluffy. I do not know her weaknesses, perhaps her breast is not smooth enough or her comb is not correct (those are only guesses).

C9A288DD-0737-488B-A053-7BF8A435DB25.jpeg This girl could have better wing carriage, but I love her full cushion. However, she looks different from the Black hen as in the Black has a distinct separation between her head and cushion, while this girl’s is not like that. Which is desired?
8D47571D-C918-4E7F-8656-AB42B3CBA53B.jpeg
I don’t know what it is about this girl, but i love the shape of her feathers. They’re kinda squared off at the ends, and she looks super fluffy and sweet. Now is that desired, or looked down upon? The Black hen still has the best wing carriage of the three, and I don’t think this ones head is as good? I will guess her beak is too long and her head just isn’t round enough.

81CDCC3F-537E-45E2-A5E2-8BD70810C8D9.jpeg
I am in love with this boy, but he may not be the best in type. Way too low of wing carriage, comb is floppy, but otherwise he looks good in my eyes. His shape is round, but his cushion doesn’t look right. Looks to have a nice big, round breast. Other than that, I’m not good at judging roosters.

(All pics from Cochinsint) Trying to put a grasp around type, feather width, head shape, comb, and overall shape. No one’s ever had a perfect bird, so just drawing it out for *personal reference*. This is something I want to do, even if there are other drawings out there. As I was writing this out, I realized this will help me along the way in learning about type, while getting me to know what the ‘perfect’ bird (for both hens and roosters) will look like. Then I might (might) sketch more out of the same thing (perhaps in different positions) and color it according to the variety standard (where can I find that? I found type on Cochinsint, but what about color).

Now it’s your turn. What do you use for reference?

Back
Top Bottom