Cochin Bantam Rooster--to keep or not to keep, that is the question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CapitalChickens, Aug 22, 2014.

1. CapitalChickens

CapitalChickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    Hi everyone,

My first post! We are VERY new to backyard, urban chickens, and have our first flock of three cochin bantams. We just learned that one of them is a rooster. He was the sweetest, most docile of the three…still is. They're only 12-14 weeks old.

Trying to decide whether to keep him (with the No Crow collar http://nocrowroostercollars.com), or whether to send him back to the poultry farm where we got him.

Technically, i don't think he's allowed in our city limits, but i think my neighbors would be ok if we could reduce the cock-a-doodle-doo. Questions, though:

--will he be aggressive to the human kids or the female chickens?
    --is one rooster with only 2-3 hens a bad idea (too much copulating for too few hens?)
    --do the No Crow collars really even work?
    --any other issues with roosters we should be worried about?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. StruckBy

StruckBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    It is very rooster-dependent. They are all individuals. I'm not generally a huge fan of roosters, mostly because they are a completely unproductive mouth to feed, but my last several have been great. I find the crowing is worse when I have more than one...it's like they have to compete! With my last several (when it was just one), the hens' egg songs were MUCH louder and more obnoxious than the crowing. I've only had one rooster get aggressive & he was dead that afternoon. The rest of mine have been some of my friendliest birds. Personally, if you like him, I would wait & see if he is noisy or too much for the hens. I've heard enough horror stories on the no-crow collars I won't use them myself but you have to judge your own circumstances.

(Now drakes on the other hand...no noise or human aggression issues, but I'll never have another one on the property. In nearly 20 yrs, I've yet to have one that didn't injure my females even at a ratio of 1 drake to 9+ ducks!)

3. JessicaThistle

JessicaThistle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    Oregon
    I have a Gold Laced Cochin Roo myself. I also have a black Silkie Roo. They are both very sweet and friendly guys. My daughter loves them.We can pick them up, snuggle them and even touch their comb and waddles. My problem is that they crow incessantly beginning at 4 am. I am not a morning person and 4 am is my deepest sleep time, therefore, roosters do not work for me. I tried it and have decided that I don't like it all.

Also, they both gang up and chase my laying hens so incessantly that if I couldn't stand out there with the hose to shoo them away, I have to have them locked up. I am trying to rehome mine or they will become tiny roasters if I can't.

This is my experience but I am just once person.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Cochin bantams tend to be very docile and manageable, and he might be fine. More pullets would be nice, if you can get them! I always have roosters, and think they make the flock complete. Nasty boys go away; good guys are welcome. One cock will be plenty for you, with a small group, if you can make it work where you live. Mary

5. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I have a beautiful white cochin bantam roo. He isn't too loud and all my neighbors are fine with him so I'm keeping him. Had to get rid of his brother when he started picking on my silkies. You could ask your neighbors if he annoys them. They might like the noise like mine do. I have great neighbors. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by