Cochin Bantam Sexing

BeccaRecca13

Songster
Jun 23, 2021
New Hampshire
Hi -
I bought 8 new cochin bantams. (I found that they are my favorite breed of chicken (cochin) and plus their size (bantam), along with some amazing coloring (calico, Mille fleur, mottled and jubilee).

They were hatched on July 2nd. So we are at the 10-11 day mark. I found this chart online to tell the difference between pullet and rooster, but I’m not sure how accurate that really is. I’ve been taking photos DAILY, and handling them to try and see if I can tell, and well, I can’t really.. there is 1 or 2 that are a little slower at getting feathers and tail feathers.
Here is the chart I found:
E86F076D-9AD5-4D7C-A7CE-0D543C4ED697.jpeg

It is not accurate at all. I've hatched many Cochin bantams over the past few years and the only part of that chart that worked in sexing them is the 5-week comb thing at the end. Feathering speed depends heavily on the line and sometimes the individual within the line; my Reds, for example, all feather like this says pullets do, even when they're cockerels, while my BBSs tend to feather like this claims cockerels do, even when they're pullets. The boys generally grow their combs in super early, though, making them pretty obvious even by 4 weeks of age in some cases. It's safest to wait until about 6 weeks for accurate sexing on most chicks, however.

It is not accurate at all. I've hatched many Cochin bantams over the past few years and the only part of that chart that worked in sexing them is the 5-week comb thing at the end. Feathering speed depends heavily on the line and sometimes the individual within the line; my Reds, for example, all feather like this says pullets do, even when they're cockerels, while my BBSs tend to feather like this claims cockerels do, even when they're pullets. The boys generally grow their combs in super early, though, making them pretty obvious even by 4 weeks of age in some cases. It's safest to wait until about 6 weeks for accurate sexing on most chicks, however.
Thank you.
I was trying to “rush” figuring it out as 4 are going to my aunt and I am keeping the other 4. I was hoping to pick out the ones that are pullets 😂 as I already have a little calico Roo from my last 4.

Haha, I know it's hard to wait! I've got 15 Cochin bantams in the brooder right now right now at about 5 weeks old and there are some definite boys, and some definite girls, but the rest are driving me nuts waiting on them to make up their minds. 🤣 Just gotta be patient and you'll know soon enough! 😊

Hi -
I bought 8 new cochin bantams. (I found that they are my favorite breed of chicken (cochin) and plus their size (bantam), along with some amazing coloring (calico, Mille fleur, mottled and jubilee).

They were hatched on July 2nd. So we are at the 10-11 day mark. I found this chart online to tell the difference between pullet and rooster, but I’m not sure how accurate that really is. I’ve been taking photos DAILY, and handling them to try and see if I can tell, and well, I can’t really.. there is 1 or 2 that are a little slower at getting feathers and tail feathers.
Here is the chart I found:
View attachment 3185303
Hey there! I know this reply is almost a year too late, but I used that same chart for Bantam Cochins at TSC. It was 100% accurate for me. I wanted 6 pullets and 1 roo. Using this chart, that's what I got. Idk They were Partridge Cochins. Don't know if that makes a difference?

Back
Top Bottom