Cochin Bantams

I have always had Cochin Bantams, my very first chickens were Cochin Bantams, and I love them. I love Frizzle Cochins as well! I show mine as well and all my birds have a pretty docile and very sweet nature to them. They arent the best layers but they do lay on a regular basis, not like a bird bred for laying but they do lay decent enough. They are great birds for first time poultry breeders and great for kids as well. They are one of th ebest mothers and broodies you can find to top it off.

~Casey

Thank you both for the info.
Are you able to use the excess ones you may have for meat? As in excess roos?
You mention good with kids too, do they like to be held, picked up etc?
We're slowly trying to narrow and pick our favorites. We started with some chicks and now have 1-2 of many breeds, we want to get 2-4 breeds and stick with them.
Didn't know if bantams would be good or go for standards.
My 11 yr old would also like to show them in 4-H this year.
Any thoughts?
Thanks again,
Angela

Angela, here is a page I made for the BYC Breeds Page for Nifty to use. There is some info on there along with pictures of birds I have had in the past.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=403

They could be used for meat I guess, but I usually dont eat them, under all the feathers they are only about the size of a large Pigeon. They are great for 4-H, most of them love attention. It depends on the bird itself, some life to be held and messed with and others just like the company and would prefer to just stand at your feet and "talk" to you and follow you around as other long to be held and act as if they are deprived of attention.

~Casey

Thanks so much for the link, They are gorgeous!
I wish there were only 2-3 colors of everything, its sooo hard to pick which ones!
We're going to have little pens ALL over the place seperating everything, haha!
lau.gif

do you still have frizzles cochins now?
Thanks

I dont have anything right now. I had to sell all my birds last May because of my health, but now that things are back in order im buying more birds in a couple of weeks. Im getting Whites and White Frizzles and adding more colors later in the year.

~Casey

I have Cochin bantams.. older ones (5 hens & 3 Roos) I got from an auction, took a little time for them to get use to me, now I can pic them up and hold them fine, I get 4-5 eggs a day from them... My 6 babies (10 wk olds) are just that BABIES, they are so rotten, Prissy likes to carried around and they all like to be held and loved on... My white roo likes to get up on my shoulder and perch there..
Out of all my chickens, I would have to say BCochin are my favorite...

I have a cochin bantam hen. She is very laid back and is very pretty. I just hatched a baby from her... its not a full bred because I don't have a cochin banty roo... but it has the appearance of a cochin and has feathered feet.

Back
Top Bottom