Cochin breeders please HELP!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chikenlady, May 8, 2008.

1. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    Hi all,

I just hatched out some Blue Cochin eggs and have a question. Is there a defect with cochins and their feet. Two of my babies have only 2 toes with the small high toe on the back. They are missing the third toe!

Any information on this odditity would be appreciated!

Lori

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh dear that's a bummer... Where did you get the eggs? Sounds like a simple case of an irresponsible breeder! It's just bad genes, any poorly bred breed can have incorrect toe digits. That's a bummer but they should do just fine.

3. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    So sorry to hear! I hope your chickies will live a good life and you will hopefully not breed (?)
    I too am interested in where you purchased your eggs/chicks.
    If it is not too forward can you please post pics?

4. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    Hi all,

Here is a picture where you may be able to see the missing toe on my silvery/grey chick. It is the one on the front left...look at the foot on the right. I will try and get a better picture tomorrow.

[​IMG]

I bought the eggs from a seller on Ebay. I definetly will notify him of my results with his eggs.

Thanks,

Lori

5. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    AWWWW poor baby! He looks healthy otherwise and will make a good pet and if it is a she you can just use her eggs for eating and not hatching.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    pm me lease with the name of the seller. i know the breeds are not related ,but i hatched a nine toed silkie. hope its not the same breeder. I will give the name of my seller if requested in return

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  7. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Good grief they must be raising their chickens by the toxic waste dump!

8. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Adorable baby chicks! I have a few rescue cockatiels that came to me with missing toes, and they do just fine. My hope is that your pretty cochins with missing toes will do well also! [​IMG]

Really cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by