Cochin chick with issue.... What is the problem here?

Wooden_Pony

Songster
12 Years
Aug 9, 2007
Mushroom Mardi Gras Land, CA
Look at him and his size compared to his brooder mates. Blue the smallest one in the photos was a HUGE chick the biggest out of my purchase stayed the biggest until just recently. His two "sisters" out grew him and he has not grow at all for a while now.

Has anyone ever seen such a huge size difference before in Cochins before even his younger Buff O sister (3 days younger) is outgrowing him. Sorry pictures are not that great it is hard to get good photos they are always on the go!!

Ps. These guys are down right ugly... nothing like my Cochins I grew up with and showed for 4-H. Keeping my fingers crossed they will outgrow their homely stage
fl.gif
Hopefully Blue will just grow......

Edited: the Cochins are Standard size.

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

Last edited:
I do not know Deb.
hmm.png

I would have thought that he if he was a Bantam he would have been smaller then the other two from the beginning. He was always HUGE compared to the other two, until these last couple of weeks.

I have asked others that I knew who had Standard sized Cochins if their roo's grew slower then the pullets and they assured me that they stayed about even the whole time.

I was also sent a few photos of Bantam Cochin chicks in a brooder with Standard sized Cochin chicks and in the photos you could tell that one was Bantam and the other was a Standard.

I am stumped on this one.

I have a mixed bantam that's about a month old now.
When he was about a week old, he jumped out of the brooder and dropped 4 feet to the floor.
He was pretty dazed and I thought the poor little thing had died in my hands.
Well since then, he hasn't grown any at all -- no feathers coming out or anything -- looks like he is about a week old.
I contribute this to the fall.
Other than size, he is doing fine.
He eats, drinks, but has been a little wobbly and slower moving around.
I notice yesterday that he is starting to run in spurts like normal chicks do.
I don't have a recent pic to show the size difference between him and the others, but I'll get one and post it later.

Well WP I was gonna tell you about our bo pullet that is a runt but she has always been so. We have an EE that was a bully when they were about 7 weeks and now she is smaller than her sisters. Feeds the same but for a while she was isolated with a roo that had a bad attitude also. H e was tough on her and she seemed to loose some ground and hasn't caught up yet. I've come to the conclusion that there may be something in their system that has retarded growth. dang it I read about that somewhere and can't remember where, If I do I'll come back with more info.

Randy

Here's my runt of the bunch,
he's a wyandotte mix and is 3 weeks old

100_0375.jpg

Again with several others, he's in the middle

100_0376.jpg

The 2 chicks to the right of him hatched at the same time,
and the other 2 chicks hatched a week earlier

I think I can see some feathers starting to come out
He eats and drinks and is running around, just doesn't appear to be growing, although I can see some feathers starting to come out.
So, do you think this little guy will ever catch up?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom