cochin hatchability

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greenthumb89, Jun 21, 2008.

1. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    are cochin eggs hard to hatch?

2. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I hatched some cochin crosses in my first hatch and they seemed to be fine.

3. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Yikes! I just put 15 Giant Blue Cochin eggs in the incubator today. They were shipped a long way, and we had a record high of 99 degrees today, but I can let you know in about three weeks what happens.

4. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    BTW: where are you? If you live near me I can give you all but two Cochins that hatch.

5. VanSintjan

VanSintjan Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2008
    Belgium
    I hatched 11 out of 13 fertile twice this spring from standard cochin. Actualy 12 out of 13 in the second hatch but one baby was born with a nerv problem and had to be put down. If it is your own hens you need to cut the butt-duns and feathers around the opening very short to allow proper mating. I also learned from other breaders that they tend to hatch late. My first hatch hatched during day 22 and 23 butpartially because we had an electricity outage in the middle of the incubation. The second time all my own eggs hatched on day 21 but the eight eggs I bought with blue standard cochin hatched on day 22.

6. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I have only tried Cochins one time, I had 10 eggs shipped to me and I only ended up with 2 making it to day 18 and hatching. Mine didn't hatch late, in fact they were the first 2 chicks that hatched out early in the day of day 21, followed by 3 silkies. Mine were shipped, and I really think that it takes a toll on them. Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by