Cochin sitting on empty nest - normal or ill?

I agree, it is definentally broody. I would NOT let her "set" her imaginary eggs. I usually have between 3 and 10 broody hens at a time, and i take them out of the boxes. This is because i noticed that when they sit for a long peroid of time, (1-3 weeks) they loose wieght. they will become dazed-like and may be aggresive! They are very protective mothers!

Quote:
I have to admit she looks really cute there sitting on her empty nest. I secretly want to stick some chicks under her! LOL

Kelly

our two fluffy Cochins go broody more than any other breed we own. They will only exit maybe once a day from next box, lay their big broody poop, and yell their loud broody cluck at us. Is your girl making weird noises or clucks, kinda like warnings? Thats all normal. OUrs sit on eggs, but we have no roo
idunno.gif
Regardless, they wanna be mommies, and they are so sweet!

Quote:
I have to agree with my mom... And they only come out when I push them out. It is sad that they are so dedicated to hatching eggs that aren't fertilized. Maybe some day.
smile.png

It's that time of year!! I have 4 broodies, and I'm letting them all hatch eggs, because I need eggs hatched and they are more reliable than my incubators...plus all of my incubators are full. I'm getting a 4th one out now...

I haven't ever successfully broken a broody and not had her go broody again a month later, so I just let them do what nature is telling them to do. If you don't have a rooster, this is a great time to get a dozen eggs of something you've always wanted from someone on here, and then give away all the extras!

They'll lose weight if you don't break the cycle somehow. It's important not to let them pine for too long.

I don't have a rooster (I wish I could). I do have some week and 2 week old chicks though. Would she raise them? And if so, how do I introduce them? There are 9 other chickens and a guinea in the coop with her, would they cause a problem?

Next time I see this behavior, I'm going to have to fine someone close to me with fertile eggs!

Kelly

Quote:
It's not too late to get eggs now- she's going to be like this for at least 3 weeks- she'll time it for the eggs if you give her some. Most sellers can get them to you in 2 or 3 days, so hit the auction section of BYC!!

I wouldn't give her the older chicks- they really need to start at eggs or day-olds.

I found someone on craigslist with fertile eggs that is a half hour away, so I think I'm going to try to get some of those. It doesn't really matter what she hatches, but they seem to have some interesting choices.

Do I get her off the nest and then put the eggs there and wait for her to go back to them, or do I slide them under her (now that I think about it, the latter seems rather difficult.

If this works, I will have to baby-proof my pen. I have to do it anyway, before the predators find me. Speaking of predators, does anyone use that fake animal urine to keep predators away and does it work? I have some (I forget the variety) because voles were eating my hostas.

Thanks for all your help,

Kelly

Back
Top Bottom