Cochin Thread, What are the pro's and con's of Cochins

Bantimna

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
South Africa
Since RAREROO started a thread say pro's and con's of Brahma's I thought I would like to find out the things others say about Cochins.

This is also a thread for posting pics, stories, and discussing our birds.

Last edited:
My two (I have a pair) (partridge) Cochins are HUGE!

I'm hoping that the pullet will go broody so I can put some eggs under her, she just started laying. I may have to trim some of those fluffy feathers around her vent because it's obvious that he often misses the mark.

My roo doesn't have a normal crow. It's interesting.

I will say that they are so huge, they are spectacular.

PRO:They are extremely docile.

PRO/CON:Some people or even the MM catalog or the Henderson chart will tell you, that they are lazy layers of small to medium size eggs. My Cochin have laid at least 5 medium sized eggs per week each.

You decide if this is a PRO or a CON: they are addicting because of their great sweet personalities

I have 4 that are 8 1/2 months old, three ladies and one roo. They are so beautiful, all those pretty fluffy feathers. One just went broody after laying for a month or so now. I just kept holding her every time I found her in the nest box, also I get the eggs taken away as soon as I see them. Winter is coming and I don't want any babies yet. So after a couple weeks, she is back to being normal. They are so sweet, mine are standard size. Funny thing, my rooster hasn't crowed yet either!! I'm crossing my fingers because we live in a neighborhood even though we have an acre of land. Don't want to make too much noise. So far the chickies are so quiet. One of my Cochin hens, the same age as the other two hasn't started laying or even gotten the red comb or wattle. Wonder if some never lay???

Sandy

Last edited:
Find a breeder with friendly birds.

I had a hatchery standard blue cochin, and she was a nightmare. Loud, and flighty, and scared... She got the same gentle handling that the other breeds did, those that still follow me around and hop in my lap.

I sold her to someone who also got rid of her.

All of my "bad" chickens were supposed to be the most docile. A cochin, a silkie, and 2 faverolles. Just goes to show you the variation within a breed and in hatchery stock.

I will try again when I have more room. I love the big chickens, and do think mine was the exception.

I have 2 Partridge Rocks. They are worse than average for laying. They both went broody but only one kept at it. Sweet gentle girls, they can have a harder time in a mixed flock. They aren't the bottom of the pecking order but they can be pushed out of the way by more dominant hens. I do like them.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
agreed. You won't find that problem, though, unless you're raising SQ. Another con is the feathered feet. They can get filthy if not housed properly and can hide scaley leg mite if not thoroughly checked now and then.

The biggest pro is their utter gorgeousness
tongue.png
and the fact that they make excellent mommas

Large fowl, or bantam?

I don't particularly care for the LF version. For one thing, I'm not really attracted to chickens that are THAT huge. OTOH, I am very very fond of the bantams. I can't resist those balls of fluff.
smile.png

You mean there are cons to having Cochins????
Hmmmm.....haven't found anything yet....okay, maybe it is getting the dingleberries off but that is still not big deal to me and not very often.

My Cochins, standard and bantam, lay well, are easy to deal with, are extremely personable, are smart and learn things quickly....good and bad, mind their manners and the bantams have the sweetest crowing sound. My standard Cochin roo seldom crows.

Both sizes are wonderful when chicks from other pens wander into theirs. They talk to them and show them where the treats are and would take them into the coop if the chicks would follow.

Even with Ida dumping a ton of rain on us they have stayed fairly clean and don't have mud packed into their foot feathers like my Faverolles, who spent the entire morning trying to clean themselves up.

Back
Top Bottom