Cochin's in the Cold?

tabray

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 2, 2009
Hello:

I'd like to get some Cochins for fun - possibly the bantam variety. Has anyone had exeperience with these birds in cold weather climates? I've read that they aren't good for "sloppy" weather because of their foot feathers. I'd be keeping them on litter and confined range.

Thanks!

great cold weather birds. I have a couple and they were completely unaffected by a very deep cold snap here in Colorado. Not so good in the mud but cold is ok. They are quite broody as wel so be prepared for that.

Cochins are fabulous in cold temps, mine even go out in the snow on occasions. They do run the risk of getting frostbitten combs more so on the roosters but thats about it.

Thanks for the replies! I think they're so pretty and it sounds like they have great tempraments. I suppose if things got too bad with mud, etc., I could always clip some of thier foot feathers (?).

Greathorse what do you do when they go broody?? Keep shooing them off the nests??

My frizzled cochins have done very well in the cold (Iowa). This is my first winter having chickens and so far - so good with all the breeds I have.

I never noticed them any better or worse than other breeds in cold weather except all single comb breeds combs tend to freeze quicker than pea or rose combs do.

Agree on mud issues of all feather legged varieties of chickens.

I like bantam cochins, love look but they have their draw backs.

Back
Top Bottom