Cochins won't go in the lil' coop, and it's snowing...did it, got them

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bburn, Jan 9, 2011.

1. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    There are three. They cuddle together all the time. It is not even as cold as it has been although it is snowing. There is a tarp over the cochin corner and the new lil' coop is finished....they were quite interested in it but have not gone in it that I know of. Tried to herd them in. Did not go back after pitch dark and try to put them in but earlier they were cuddled up in their usual corner.

They are smart enough to get out of the snow when there is a place to go, aren't they? I would rather they stay the way they are than what my DH wants to do.....his idea was to put them in with the BR's. Not going to happen on my watch....the first thing the roo will do is try to breed the cochin hens....then the fight will break out.

Tomorrow I am going to block off the corner where they sleep so they can't get there to cuddle up. Make their space smaller for a few days so they have to at least stay up under the tarp and coop area. Then at dark if they don't venture inside I am going to herd them into the lil' coop and close the door.

Silly chickens!!

Well....here is my answer....they WON'T go in out of the weather! I just went out with a flashlight to peek at them...thinking they would be in the lil' coop....NOT....they were cuddled up in the corner....the big momma and little momma with Sweet Harry on top with his wings spread out to cover them. OMG....sweetest thing I have ever seen and with a coating of snow on them. I went in the pen and put a towel over Harry and carried him to the coop and put him in and put the tin over the door. Then I went back and got big momma with the towel and put her in....when I got back for the last one, little momma she was still laid out asleep and I picked her up with the towel and put her in. I blocked off the pop door and peeked in the vent at the side and they were all standing around looking at each other like 'what happened?'.

At least I can sleep knowing they are inside and not cuddled up in the corner of the pen covered with snow! Will do this every night until they start going in on their own.

Silly chickens. Sweet Harry and the Mommas....so sweet.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    It is amazing the things I will do for a chicken.....I am really scared to be out there in the dark and still I felt like I had to so they will be safe.....you have to love chickens!

3. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Aren't they silly? I have two cute bantam cochins and when first moved from their brooder into their new coop they would fly up onto the top of the coop each evening at dusk...my DD or I would scoop them up and deposit them into their cool coop so we could close them in safely...took almost two weeks before they finally either gave up or figured it out? Who knows? Funny thing is, this coop has a small ramp and is only about 6" off the ground, and they have their choice of perch height once inside...just seemed to prefer flying high? I have no idea, but they had no choice--I wasn't going to risk leaving them out (and they are in an 8x12 dog kennel but so far it's only partially covered, not totally secure)--too many hungry critturs out there. It's been about 3 months since then and once they caught onto the idea they haven't looked back...yours just might need a little 'encouragement' before they get the idea [​IMG] Good luck.
    Dawn

4. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    We just finished the lil' coop this weekend. They have been sleeping in this same corner since I got the girls...had Harry already and that was where he slept. The sweetness was killing me tonight when I went out there and shone the flashlight in that corner and there they were.....the little mommas all cuddled up with Harry protecting them from the snow!

As dark as it was....and as big a scaredy cat as I am...I had to move them inside. Hopefully the tin won't fall down and they won't end up in the corner in the morning. All I had was the food bowl, and two water bowls to block the tin tight against the coop.

Mine are LF Cochins....Harry is huge. A good two feet tall. The mommas are shorter and just balls of feathers. I am glad I went out there and glad I put them up. Will do it every night now until they give up the corner! The run is covered with wire and a tarp both. If it keeps snowing I will have to go out and empty the tarp to keep it from falling in. Have already done it twice tonight.

Sweet, sweet chickens. Can't say the same about the rest of them....the BR roo is a booger.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you can, put a small light of some kind inside the coop shelter about 30 minutes before dark (even a flashlight or one of those battery operated push lights would work fine). This may lure them inside before nightfall. Then just turn the light off when you go out to check on them. Do this for about a week and they will probably start going in on their own without the light.

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Brooms work too. [​IMG]

Never known livestock that can't be herded with a broom.

7. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    My birds were the same way. They wouldn't go to bed at roosty time! I had to put them in there at night, and then I did the light suggestion that teach1rusl mentioned and it worked like a charm! Silly birds still all sleep on the floor, but at least they are in there.

8. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I will sure try the light tomorrow night for sure. I simply could not stand the thought of them laying in that corner all night getting snowed on. The worst part is there is an area that the tarps are around the fence that keeps rain and even the snow out...but that is not their corner.

Talk about some sweet, sweet chickens!

9. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad to know they have a great mom in you to look after them. I too have three young girls and when I first got them I had to pick them up and put them on the little roost for the first two nights then they were fine. I actually find that my girls are quite smart and love to do their own thing.
    I love Cochins so much they are awesome!

10. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Went out at daylight and opened the 'pop' door and watered everyone. The three cochins made it through the night quite snug in the lil' coop....stuck my hand in there and it really felt warm. As cold as it is anything would be warm!

The RIR hens were flying out of their coop all the way over to the shade area aka:satillite dish to get on dry ground. Threw some BOSS and scratch out there for entertainment. Swept the run a bit to get the snow off some of the ground.

Will go out again around noon and take them some fresh water......everyone stay warm!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by