cockatiel and ficus tree

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by loves2hatch, Mar 10, 2013.

1. loves2hatch

loves2hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Does anyone have a ficus tree, the kind you buy at a nursery as a house plant, in with cockatiels? I've read different opinions some say they are safe, others say they are not.
    Have you kept it in the pot it came in or do you take it out and rinse it off and replace the dirt with some organic dirt with no fertilizer in it?
    I'm planning a new aviary for my 2 cockatiels this year. I was planning on putting in some grasses planted in the ground that would come up through the wire bottom and putting a small tree like a ficus either a dead or live one, as I know the leaves will probably be eaten, for a natural looking perch.
    I usually kill a live ficus in a matter of months in my house so it may be a dead one by the time it warms up to make my aviary.

2. allisonbatman

allisonbatman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    Royersford, PA
    I don't know if the plant is safe or not, but I would definately switch to a dirt with no fertilizer in it. One of my cockatiels loves to dig in the dirt of my plants :-/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by