Cocker Spaniel Puppies attack chickens and ducks

Lamaremybabies

Crowing
Nov 2, 2015
New England
Hello,

So I've been looking for a thread that might help my situation and so far I haven't found anything.
I have two 6 month old cocker spaniels who are just so sweet... until they get close to my ducks and chickens. I know cocker spaniels are hunting dogs and i can't seem to find anyone who has cockers and chickens, but I'm hoping someone with some dog experience can give me some training advise and things like that because I'm at a loss.

Today I was inside doing some work and I heard my chickens freaking out so I look outside and there are my cockers ripping mouth fulls of feathers out of my poor hen. Naturally I run outside and put the cockers back in their kennel and start assessing the chickens and ducks to make sure they're all okay.. I did end up putting my rooster and one of the hens in crates next to my brooder due to some minor injuries and lots of feather loss.

I would also like to clarify that my birds were in their run which is 450 square feet and 5 feet tall, but it was my fault they got in because there's a faulty spot in the fence that the dogs have been digging under so I will be securing that today in hopes that they will no longer be able to dig under the fence. my dogs also live outside due to severe allergies in the family which is why they were in the yard.

Double check your coop/run area....since your dogs have already tasted chicken they will probably try to get to them again.

I too once had a problem when I first brought chicks into my dogs yard.
To this day, although my dogs don't care much for the chickens anymore, would never trust my dogs around the chickens.
I spent and spend a lot of time working with the dogs, teaching them to stay away...some dogs just never learn.

Hello,

So I've been looking for a thread that might help my situation and so far I haven't found anything.
I have two 6 month old cocker spaniels who are just so sweet... until they get close to my ducks and chickens. I know cocker spaniels are hunting dogs and i can't seem to find anyone who has cockers and chickens, but I'm hoping someone with some dog experience can give me some training advise and things like that because I'm at a loss.

Today I was inside doing some work and I heard my chickens freaking out so I look outside and there are my cockers ripping mouth fulls of feathers out of my poor hen. Naturally I run outside and put the cockers back in their kennel and start assessing the chickens and ducks to make sure they're all okay.. I did end up putting my rooster and one of the hens in crates next to my brooder due to some minor injuries and lots of feather loss.

I would also like to clarify that my birds were in their run which is 450 square feet and 5 feet tall, but it was my fault they got in because there's a faulty spot in the fence that the dogs have been digging under so I will be securing that today in hopes that they will no longer be able to dig under the fence. my dogs also live outside due to severe allergies in the family which is why they were in the yard.

Double check your coop/run area....since your dogs have already tasted chicken they will probably try to get to them again.

I too once had a problem when I first brought chicks into my dogs yard.
To this day, although my dogs don't care much for the chickens anymore, would never trust my dogs around the chickens.
I spent and spend a lot of time working with the dogs, teaching them to stay away...some dogs just never learn.

I'm planning on it today. I'm hoping as they get older and are neutered they'll lose interest in the birds and that it's a puppy thing.

I have a golden retriever and a guardian dog who both have killed chickens. The person who we got the retriever from suggested to take the dead bird and place it in the dogs mouth for 1/2 and hour we did and they did not like it in fact they just laid there. I made sure they stayed where they were. They don't chase them anymore except when the chickens get near the dog's food and then the chase them away. It sounds cruel but the result speaks for itself.

I have a golden retriever and a guardian dog who both have killed chickens. The person who we got the retriever from suggested to take the dead bird and place it in the dogs mouth for 1/2 and hour we did and they did not like it in fact they just laid there. I made sure they stayed where they were. They don't chase them anymore except when the chickens get near the dog's food and then the chase them away. It sounds cruel but the result speaks for itself.
huh, that's very interesting. My dogs luckily haven't killed any of my birds though so it's not something I can even try.

Back
Top Bottom