Cockeral: starting to peck my foot

NickyPick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Pine Valley (New Waverly), TX
My chicks are 15 weeks old. I have too cockerals: an EE, which was ordered, and an Orpington, which was a surprise. This last week, the Orp has started pecking (one angry peck) my feet when I'm close. I've picked him up each time and held him until he quits sqawking and struggling. Once he's past that, he'll start brrrrring and will close his eyes half way - I'm thinking he likes it? I don't know if this is a sign of future aggression or if he's just testing the boundaries (or asking for attention????). He (The Rock) is gorgeous - caramel color with metallic highlights - and we do like having him around. He does crow the most, but otherwise, doesn't act much like a rooster.
The other boy; however; is very much into flock management. Mr. Feathers watches the pullets. He hollers when the hawks fly over, stands at the door to the coop and won't let them back out until danger is passed, and when I let them out in the morning (or in at night), if Galena doesn't come right with the rest, he'll run back to her and make sure she joins the flock. He will fly to my arms at night with the low totem pullets (I'm the highest roost, apparently), but doesn't want me to pet him and I'm fine with that. He went after my feet once when I picked up a pullet and she screamed bloody murder and I did to him what I've been doing to Rock and he hasn't tried anything with me since. I don't know if it's because he learned something or if it's because Rock has started to become more dominant (always wins the face-offs. they haven't really fought or anything yet).

Should I be worrying about the Rock? Anything else I should do?

Foot pecking is hard to peg as aggressive when it's just by itself with no other signs. I know that for some reason, my socks look delicious to my hens, and I get pecked almost non-stop if I go outside on my porch in socks. (it's pretty hilarious)

Chickens explore the world through pecking, so if your rooster isn't dancing at you, flaring his wings, or giving nasty warning cackles, you should be fine. Who knows, maybe he likes being picked up and that's his way of 'asking' you to.

Good luck with him!

Well, I'm pointing at this becuase of the way he's doing it. It's not a peck,peck,peck, looking at what's edible on my foot. It's a single aggressive peck when I invade his personal space. I'm certainly hoping it's not a sign of future agression.

the Orp has started pecking (one angry peck) my feet when I'm close

Time to make chicken salad

There's no reason to tolerate ANY agression at all unless it's some rare breed show bird.

They don't get more mellow with age, they just get tougher, and roosters are cheap
wink.png

Last edited:
I have a hen that does that to me occasionally. She does it when she thinks that I am ignoring her. Then I'll pick her up and she'll 'purr'.

Back
Top Bottom