cockeral

botanicalbliss

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2017
I have a cockeral that I was told was a pullet when I bought it. It is a bantam Cochin Silkie mix. He is beautiful and has not been agressive towards people. He's also not been overly agressive towards my 6 hens. But one of my hens, also a silkie Cochin mix, had a smallish bleeding wound on her head and he had blood under his chin. I separated her for a full day. Cleaned her up. Wound basically healed. Later released her back to the flock and he immediately sought her out. I think he's just starting to want to mate. He only seems interested in her. I separated him out over night. Now I have no idea what to do. I didn't intend to keep a rooster. He's absolutely stunning and I feel a responsibility towards any animal I take in my care so I'm reluctant to just get rid of him but dont want to stress about my hens being hurt or unhappy. Any advice would be very helpful.

How old are these birds?
The one female may be close to laying?
Separate the cockerel if he's over stressing the females.

You may have to seperate him and let him learn through a cage how to court the hens,also cockerels and roosters usually pick out certain hens to breed and harass.

I have a big 7-9 month old brahma male and he likes one of my smaller hybrid girls so much so I have had to remove her so her feathers near her butt can grow back. He's not happy at all with me and I swere he growled at me for doing it lol. if he is going after even one to much put him in his own run next to them so he can be near but not get to them cuz thats what I have my husband doing right now in the snow storm that is hitting us in the UK lol.

You can try separating them until he matures. (Taking him away from the flock.) It may help, but cockerels/roosters breed hens. It's just the way it is.

According to me its ohk for him to pic his own favorite girl. its just nature of them. if its a lot then seperate him for a little time.

I also separate any cockerel I intend to keep (and eat the rest). Any kept are in their own pad/run and the girls can go visit, the rooster and cock can box through the fence,,,

Back
Top Bottom