Cockerel acting weird

wconstantine

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Hampton, New York

Yesterday, I went into the coop to find this guy sitting in a nest box - hiding. I picked him up and typically there would have been more of a response. When I let him go outside he was very lethargic looking - carried wings low, walked mouth open, and moved slowly. I initially thought maybe a roo gave him a run for his money or the weather was the cause - no coughing, sneezing, etc.

This morning he was walking slower than a snail and still carried his wings low. I examined him closer and the wings seem fine ... He's not all that interested in food or water.

I think he may be on his way out. He is still very young

Last edited:
Is his neck limp as well? Also, could he have gotten into any rotten/moldy food or wet bedding? The droopy wings remind me of what Botulism looks like. Botulism causes droopy wings, necks, inability to walk, paralysis, and death. The treatment for Botulsim is a molasses flush which draws the poisons out of the body. The molasses flush consists of four tablespoons of molasses in one quart of water, given for no more than twenty four hours.

Coccidiosis can cause droopiness and lethargy. It affects mainly young birds. Symptoms are bloody diarrhea (not always, though), droopines, lethargy, lack of appetite, sleepiness, and paleness. Many people give birds medicated feed to prevent Coccidiosis, but this is not always successful, as there are nine strains of Coccidiosis, and a bird may become resistant to some but not all. Coccidiosis is quite dangerous, so you may want to get treatment as soon as possible. Corid, either liquid or powder, is the treatment. It is sold for cattle, but can be used for chickens. THe dosage for the liquid is two teaspoons per gallon of water, and the powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon. You give it for five days.

Worms cause these symptoms too, but I do not think that they would have affected your bird so suddenly.

Hope I've helped!

Back
Top Bottom