Cockerel Aggression.

If this is your first flock, remove both roosters, and replace with two hens. Roosters are a crap shoot, and IMO need an experienced keeper. Create an all hen flock, and keep that for a year or two, and then if you want branch out into a rooster. Most people seriously under estimate how violent roosters can get. Inexperienced people often times miss the signs of the building aggression (sometimes experienced people do too.)

Contact your local feed store for possible people that have chickens near you. Or your extension agent, or a local 4-H club... all people that might have some point of lay pullets to replace your roosters with.

In a small set up, two roosters is too many.

Mrs K

Ooh that's another possibility I was thinking of. Only problem is that I doubt people in my area would want some - or I don't know some that would. I asked my friend (she lives on a farm) whose family was thinking of starting a flock if she wanted one and she said no, they're too noisy! I could maybe bring them back to the auction where I got them, I'm just not sure how to go about that. Or I could try putting an ad in the papers but I'm not sure if that's legal or whatever. :th
If I were to replace them with two females, would I get them around the same age as the other two?
Thanks for all your help! :)

Contact your local extension agent, might be a poultry club, or 4-h clubs. You can advertise them as for sale or free, and often times someone does want them. Now some of those people will finish raising them up for their own table, but that is a quick and merciful end.

I would look for similar size and age birds that you have. Once after predators, I did a ISO laying hens and got 5 nice birds for $5 a piece. Someone had gotten too many chicks, and needed to reduce, he got more space, and I got some very nice birds.

It can be tough when you are attached, but you can enjoy your flock. With two roosters, starting to act aggressive, very shortly you are going to hate the strife in your flock.

Mrs K

Wow thank for all your help. At what age do they typically mature? Honestly I don't need fertile eggs, it's just that I've gotten a bit attached to everybody! :bow

It can vary from 5 months to a year or even more. I'd say my average is 7 to 8 months but it can vary a lot on either side.

It is also possible that even after months of multiple roosters getting alone or one rooster being a great flock leader or non-human aggressive they can flip. You just can't tell with living animals. Many people keep roosters with no problems, but they can cause problems. I'll repeat, keep as few as you can and still reach your goals.

How aggressive towards each other are we talking? And how aggressive towards the pullets? Young cockerels will fight, it's instinctive. To some degree, power struggles are perfectly acceptable. A line can be drawn when they're doing each other physical harm...though this is just a matter of personal preference. I have 7 males right now who disagree every so often, but not to the point where intervention is required. Slightly scabbed combs aren't enough to cause any concern on my part.

If they're causing the pullets excessive stress, you may want to consider your options. Incessant chasing, rough handling, ect., aren't doing anyone involved a favor.

The girls will be perfectly fine without their tormentors. :) In fact, they may thrive. Hens don't technically need roosters around in order to be "safe." Many don't protect the flock as it is.

~Alex

Contact your local extension agent, might be a poultry club, or 4-h clubs. You can advertise them as for sale or free, and often times someone does want them. Now some of those people will finish raising them up for their own table, but that is a quick and merciful end.

I would look for similar size and age birds that you have. Once after predators, I did a ISO laying hens and got 5 nice birds for $5 a piece. Someone had gotten too many chicks, and needed to reduce, he got more space, and I got some very nice birds.

It can be tough when you are attached, but you can enjoy your flock. With two roosters, starting to act aggressive, very shortly you are going to hate the strife in your flock.

Mrs K

yeah okay, I
How aggressive towards each other are we talking? And how aggressive towards the pullets? Young cockerels will fight, it's instinctive. To some degree, power struggles are perfectly acceptable. A line can be drawn when they're doing each other physical harm...though this is just a matter of personal preference. I have 7 males right now who disagree every so often, but not to the point where intervention is required. Slightly scabbed combs aren't enough to cause any concern on my part.

If they're causing the pullets excessive stress, you may want to consider your options. Incessant chasing, rough handling, ect., aren't doing anyone involved a favor.

The girls will be perfectly fine without their tormentors. :) In fact, they may thrive. Hens don't technically need roosters around in order to be "safe." Many don't protect the flock as it is.

~Alex

Well the "top dog" will pull feathers out of the other one's back, but besides from making noises and running at each other (which often leads to a stare down) they are not all too bad. I don't think they actually physically hurt the pullets either but they seem a bit more aggressive towards them after disagreeing with each other. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom