Cockerel around the nesting boxes

Hyliangamer

In the Brooder
May 19, 2022
hi everyone,

I have three cockerels and many pullets that are just at the point of starting to lay. Two of the pullets have become very interested in the nesting boxes but every time they go in the coop during the day the cockerels are hanging right with them just about inches from them. I’m wondering if this is normal behavior if the cockerels are trying to protect them or if they’re just interested. Has anyone come across this before

hi everyone,

I have three cockerels and many pullets that are just at the point of starting to lay. Two of the pullets have become very interested in the nesting boxes but every time they go in the coop during the day the cockerels are hanging right with them just about inches from them. I’m wondering if this is normal behavior if the cockerels are trying to protect them or if they’re just interested. Has anyone come across this before
My cockerel would go in and check out the nest boxes for his ladies. Sometimes sitting in them. He would make noises to them like he was trying to encourage them to lay. One girl would sit in the box as long as he was sitting outside the box, if he left so did she. It was the cutest thing!!!!

I agree that cockerels will check out the nesting boxes and invite the ladies to have a look. Be careful though, if you have a poor female to male ratio, it can become a stressful situation for the pullets.
The males will hear the egg song, come running, and may over-breed the pullets, as they leave the box. It can cause injury to the pullet, as well as fighting among the males.

Back
Top Bottom