Cockerel behaviour towards child

Yep, and child was probably afraid from first attack, which 'spurred'(haha) the bird to keep the 'weird' human away.
Plus I meant overall the humans demeanor's must always be in check and aware of their own present and past behaviors and how they affect the animals.
Hard(if not impossible) for most kids, and many adults, to understand and apply.
Thats what we struggle with here! Sometimes a good day... sometimes it seems Im on my daughter CONSTANTLY about calming down! UGH!

Plus I meant overall the humans demeanor's must always be in check and aware of their own present and past behaviors and how they affect the animals.
Hard(if not impossible) for most kids, and many adults, to understand and apply.
Yeah, which is why kids and roosters are not a good mix.

I think the rooster was probably just protecting the chicks if you were holding one or near them cause I noticed the same thing with mine... coming after me or even my dad once if we got too close to or scared the chicks. Rarely any other time for the most part.

He doesn't know what the chicks are yet, as he hasn't seen them before or the mother with them. I'm 100% sure he was "protecting" or at least reacting to the squawking hen who was bullying another hen away from the mealworms.

If he's 2 yrs old, he's a rooster, not a cockerel, (which would be under 1 year.)

I'm in the UK. All male chickens are called cockerels or cocks for short.

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).

I'm just using terms that I know apply where I live.

Hope I was clear enough in my early posts when I said he was 2 years old, whatever his label might be in different continents

Well I was wondering....does the fact that he's an adult rather than an adolescent make this situation easier or harder to deal with? Or just different?

Back
Top Bottom