Cockerel cannot balance. Help?

mollyjango

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 29, 2009
Over a week ago, I found the cockerel in his run trapped between the wire, as I tried to help him I discovered that he could not walk properly, and kept falling over. He has been eating and drinking fine, but he does not seem to be recovering. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello, and
welcome-byc.gif

How old is he? Is he pooping normal too? Is he able to stand or do his legs seem to be giving out on him?
Is he isolated? You should probaby have him in a warm quiet place where you can keep an eye n him, and not subject him to the others possibly picking on him. I don't know what could be causing the trouble, but if you give a little more info, someone will probably recognize something.
When he was caught, were his legs or head stuck in or twisted in the wire in any way?

Thanks lilbizzy for your reply.
Our cockerel is about 4 years old, and yes he is pooping normally, but when he stand's on his legs he can last about 3-4 seconds before he loses balance and collapses. At the moment he is not in the chicken run and is in the greenhouse with no other chickens. We check on him regularly, most of the time he is sitting down, like he is relaxing.

When we found him in the chicken run his head was through the wire and his legs were up in the air. I had to move the wire to get him out.

He still eats and drinks plenty. Someone suggested it may be an ear infection but we have no idea.

I don't know if they get ear infections. It could have something to do with the legs not getting good blood flow, but I would think that by now, things would have returned to normal if that was the case. I had a rooster that caught his toe on a eye hook, and was hanging upside down by one toe. I do't know how long he was hanging, but it only took a day for him to recover.
I think, for now, it might not hurt to give him a drop or 2 of liquid baby vitamins each day. Having a little extra vitamin doesn't hurt. Have you tried massaging his legs, to feel for anything out of place? Do you think, by looking at him that his head is getting fuzzy, or are his legs giving out?

my thoughts are neurological issues from being caught in the fence. I hope he gets better in a few days:)

put him in a cage (big one) and feed him and keep him warm... Let him relax without responsibilities.. some rooster booster and fresh feed and bedding... It needs to be big enough for him to stand but not so big that he will do a lot of moving around... A dog kennel works great.... Let him chill in there and heal... Mind the temperature... don't let him get too cold. Good luck and keep us posted... monitor his droppings... bright green indicates he is not eating.

Probably has something to do with him being caught in the fence although I'm nursing a cock that has had an ear infection and he can't stand up straight an it has given him wry neck....keep an eye on him and check to make sure that his ears look ok.....

Back
Top Bottom