Cockerel died overnight

Good morning all. I'm looking to see if I can work out the why. I went out to the coop this morning to let my trio of 9 week buff orpingtons out and didn't hear the usual minor morning chaos and no one popped out of the door. Ran around to the other side and found the cockerel dead on the bottom of the coop and the two girls sitting on the roost bars. Everyone has been acting completely normal. No signs anyone was sick. I have a camera in a coop and watched the playback. I can't work out exactly what happened but I looks like he fell and injured his neck. I feel awful. I think I need to move the roost bar closer to the center? The nesting box is currently boarded up because they aren't laying age yet but I may unboard that too so there isn't a wall behind the roost bar? I've uploaded a video, it isn't nice to watch but I could do with some advice. Thank you. I'm devastated and want to make sure nothing like this happens again.

Oh my god that's so awful! Im so sorry for your loss. Thank goodness you had a camera in there so you wouldn't just be guessing what happened. This makes me think I need to install one in our new coop.

Back
Top Bottom