Cockerel Getting Aggressive Sometimes

Hi! My cockerel is around 15 weeks old. And recently, normally during sunrise and sunset I think, he's been more aggressive to my boyfriend. (He also hops on the pullets [same age as him] periodically and pulls on their feathers. Is that normal behavior or excessively aggressive?)

I'm not usually around when it happens, so we haven't been sure if it's to any person or just to BF or what. But this evening, I went into the fenced-in area after he picked on one of the others, and he seemed okay till my boyfriend came up. The cockerel followed him as BF walked around the fence and looked like he was getting ready to jump BF or something. I kind of shooed him a bit just by walking up near him, and at one point, he looked back at my shoes and looked like he was considering attacking them. I took a step back, and he lost interest but seemed to go back at my boyfriend to follow him around the fence. So is it hormones causing this? Will this behavior get worse, or is it more or less normal, protective behavior? And why does it seem like he's more okay with me (for now) compared to BF? Testosterone thing?

Thanks!
I know this is late but I had a rooster kind of similar except my rooster never attacked people. during sunrise and sunset, when we opened and closed the coop, he became extra hormonal and was crazy for the hens. As soon as we opened the coop he would choose a hen and chase her around for 5 minutes and she would hide. This would go on for a little and after a while he would stop going crazy but go crazy again when the sun was setting. However, 15 weeks is young. Mines only started doing this at around 7 months.

One question I don't think anyone addressed yet, is his mounting on the pullets normal behavior for this age? Or is this aggressiveness? I'm not sure what to chock up to just hormones and growing (16 weeks old) or to aggression.
Yes, it's normal.
Some are much more aggressive about it.
Grabbing the neck and trying to hop on but letting them go pretty quickly is one thing,
if they don't let up and chase them down and never give up, that's too much.

I know this is late but I had a rooster kind of similar except my rooster never attacked people. during sunrise and sunset, when we opened and closed the coop, he became extra hormonal and was crazy for the hens. As soon as we opened the coop he would choose a hen and chase her around for 5 minutes and she would hide. This would go on for a little and after a while he would stop going crazy but go crazy again when the sun was setting. However, 15 weeks is young. Mines only started doing this at around 7 months.
That information is helpful! Thank you! I guess then he's about 3 months younger, but maybe it's just because of the time of year? But it does seem to mainly happen at sunset, and maybe sunrise, but I'm not the one who gets up that early to let them out, hahaha.

Yes, it's normal.
Some are much more aggressive about it.
Grabbing the neck and trying to hop on but letting them go pretty quickly is one thing,
if they don't let up and chase them down and never give up, that's too much.
Hmm, I'm not sure at what point he is. He might be a little in between at the moment, the pullets seem to get away after a bit, but he was chasing them down for a while. But again, it seems like it's mainly at sunset when he gets that worked up.

I have confirmed that the aggression to people is just toward BF though. My dad came by yesterday and walked up to the fence by the rooster, and the rooster looked at my dad and then turned away and pretended to eat, lol. And tonight, BF went to close up the coop, and the rooster charged out of there and chased BF out of the pen. I went in and "scolded" the rooster and told him to go to bed, and he listened and didn't give me any guff. So I think BF letting the rooster "chase" him away initially (and a few times since then) has given the rooster the idea that he can try and intimidate BF. It mainly seems to be at sunset though, too, so I don't know if it's a territorial/hormonal thing with another male or something?

So I think BF letting the rooster "chase" him away initially (and a few times since then) has given the rooster the idea that he can try and intimidate BF.
More than likely, yes....and I'd bet your BF is anticipating an attack and the bird feels that.
This is one of the hardest things to learn/teach, and do even if you know.
You've got to stay cool, calm and collected.

It mainly seems to be at sunset though, too, so I don't know if it's a territorial/hormonal thing with another male or something?
I've noticed that early morning and evening are times of increased mating activity.

More than likely, yes....and I'd bet your BF is anticipating an attack and the bird feels that.
This is one of the hardest things to learn/teach, and do even if you know.
You've got to stay cool, calm and collected.

I've noticed that early morning and evening are times of increased mating activity.

Thank you! Confirms my suspicions about both things then. I do feel bad for BF, but I also think it's funny that he goes into the pen suited up in gloves and jacket and jeans, while I can go in there in shorts and sandals and be fine, lol.

Hi! My cockerel is around 15 weeks old. And recently, normally during sunrise and sunset I think, he's been more aggressive to my boyfriend. (He also hops on the pullets [same age as him] periodically and pulls on their feathers. Is that normal behavior or excessively aggressive?)

I'm not usually around when it happens, so we haven't been sure if it's to any person or just to BF or what. But this evening, I went into the fenced-in area after he picked on one of the others, and he seemed okay till my boyfriend came up. The cockerel followed him as BF walked around the fence and looked like he was getting ready to jump BF or something. I kind of shooed him a bit just by walking up near him, and at one point, he looked back at my shoes and looked like he was considering attacking them. I took a step back, and he lost interest but seemed to go back at my boyfriend to follow him around the fence. So is it hormones causing this? Will this behavior get worse, or is it more or less normal, protective behavior? And why does it seem like he's more okay with me (for now) compared to BF? Testosterone thing?

Thanks!
Get some gloves. Grab him and later have your boyfriend do the same. Hold his head down to the ground and pet him for a minute or so. This may take a few times but he will understand very well. You are the giants who bring food. Messing with you results in him being physically dominated in front of his harem. He won’t keep this up.

Thanks!
Get a empty feed Bag walk towards him with it he should retreat and not bother you . They don’t know what the feed bag is . Think it’s a predator. Do this every time you walk
Outside near him . Until he see you as the alpha it works.

Back
Top Bottom