cockerel mates just with two hens, what should I do?

How do your birds act. That is what I go by. They know more about being chickens than we will ever know. So, if the bald headed girls are hiding in the coop, never coming out, being chased or harassed if they sneak out and try to eat, then I would separate them.

If they like hanging with the rooster, seem to be moving out and about with the other chickens, walking around, pecking and scratching, and accepting of the rooster, I would leave them be.

If birds are eating, active and laying, they are in pretty good shape and happy. Trust them. I do think that even if they don't figure this out right away, it will not be too bad. Some hens are more prone to feather breakage than others, but bare backed hens bothers people more than it seems to bother hens. I have had some rough looking birds with bare backs, just adore their rooster.

Once the rooster gets older, and the pullets get older, this all kind of settles down.

Mrs K

Last edited:
That's really kind of cute, like a little boy offering a girl one of his matchbox cars -- He wants so much to impress the ladies and doesn't quite have the technique down yet.
... but it worked! today he mated with a marans for the first time! 😅🥳
How do your birds act. That is what I go by.
you're right, I guess I just should watch them, but sometime I'm not sure I understand what I'm watching!
today while napoleone was standing near the run door, one of the araucanas seemed aggressive toward him. was that just because of the net? when they were all together I've never seen her acting like this.

She is trying to get to him, she is aggressive with the fence. Chickens really don't like not being able to be with each other. I think it causes more problems than it solves, but a lot of people on here do it.

I do not see any damage on that hen that would cause me to separate the birds. I just try and let mine be chickens. Open that gate, and I bet they are much calmer and happier immediately.

But they are your chickens - do what you think best.

Mrs K

I do not see any damage on that hen that would cause me to separate the birds. I just try and let mine be chickens. Open that gate, and I bet they are much calmer and happier immediately.
I know, in the video she doesn't seem to be damaged at all, but she do have holes without feathers and the other hen looks worst... anyway I think you're right. now they are all sleeping, but tomorrow I'm going to let them stay together and I'm going to watch how do they act. thank you very much for your help, as I said, sometimes even if I'm watching I don't know what I'm watching!

Thank you so much for your thorough answer!
At the moment the Araucanas are closed in the run where they can see (hear and smell) the rest of the flock. Napoleone spent most of the day near the run door pining for his girls and acted a little crazy: he sang his "treat song" offering rusty screws he found on the ground (aehm, not exactly an Italian garden) (and not exactly a way to act as a rooster, I guess!), and chased and pecked some Marans (the less dominant ones).
For the moment I would keep the Araucanas in the run, at least they can stay together (I would feel bad leaving him alone in the run, but maybe isn't that bad if he can see the hens).
Both Araucanas usually squat for him (at least most of the time), but he seem to lack technique. I really hope he will learn to behave!
Have you considered a lovely little “coat” for the hens until their feathers grow back? Easy to buy or make. This has worked well when I’ve had similar issues. Worth a try.

Have you considered a lovely little “coat” for the hens until their feathers grow back? Easy to buy or make. This has worked well when I’ve had similar issues. Worth a try.
thank you, I'm considering it right now! at the moment they are all together again and the rooster keeps mating just with 3 hens: one marans and two araucanas. I guess I'm going to buy two sadlles for the little ones: they don't have wounds, but their back doesn't look good! :( despite that, they never run away from him and they seem to enjoy his company, so I don't want to keep them separated.

Hi, my flock consists of 5 Marans girls (one year old), 2 Araucanas girls (ten months old) and my MaransXAraucana cockerel (nine months old).
The cockerel (his name is Napoleone) is the newest addiction, he arrived in september and most of the Marans still treat him as an idiot, on the other side the Araucanas succumbed to his charm. He is really sweet: "dances" for them, offers them treats, suggests them places for laying and often stays with them when they are laying.
Here's the thing: these two Araucanas are the only hens he mates with and they are starting to lose feathers on the back and on the head. Napoleone seems more clumsy than violent to me, but he's my first cockerel and this is my first flock ever, so I'm not sure how things should go. Even if they seem to accept him, he grabs them by the head... and they are starting to go bald!
Sometimes he tries to mate with some of the Marans, but they don't let him. There's just one Marans who seems to be interested in him: she has started coming when he calls for treats and I even saw her squat for him once, but he ignored her and doesn't seem interested in her at all.
He is still young and I hope in the future Marans will learn to love him... but what should I do in the meantime? The little Araucanas seem to be stressed by his attentions. Is he too big for them?
I was thinking of keeping the Araucanas in another place for a while, to let their feathers grow back... Could this motivate him to do better with the Marans? Would this be cruel? Should I just wait? Separating the flock doesn't seem the best solution to me, but I don't know what else could I do.
I would really appreciate your advices and experiences with similar issues. Thank you!
They make a product that fits the hens like an apron that protects their backs from the roosters mounting them.I don't know what they're called? Maybe another member will know what I'm talking about! Once your cockerel grows up and gains some experience, maybe I will become more gentle with the hens.

Back
Top Bottom