Cockerel off feed

chiknGeek

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Northwest MO
I have a 5 month old cockerel. About one and a half weeks ago he was puffed up with his head drawn in and didn't want to come out of the coop with the rest of the flock. I separated him into my hospital coop. He did seem to have some difficulty swallowing, when he tried to drink water it just sort of drooled back out of his mouth.
No other members of the flock are showing any signs of illness.
Since then I have wormed him and have been giving him vitamins in his water. He seems to be acting mostly normally. A bit low on eating. His poop is normal.
The behavior that makes me unsure if it safe to put him back with the flock is that he will occasionally stare with his beak wide open for 30 sec to a min. It's just strange.

I will try it.
How do you tell when it is safe to try reintegration with the flock or whether you should cull? We don't have a chicken vet available.

I usually feed my sick birds a small amount of plain yogurt and egg yolk mixed in with their usual food, makes it soft and gives some nutrients. The vitamins you’re already doing sound good, too. Hope he recovers quickly!

I will try it.
How do you tell when it is safe to try reintegration with the flock or whether you should cull? We don't have a chicken vet available.
You will be able to tell. Your heart will also tell you. If he is drinking water and eating something, he is still fighting.
I have had to cull one rooster, well my brother-in-law did it for me... the rooster was alive but stiff, hardly breathing, he couldn't open his beak, wouldn't even open his eyes, his feet were curled up, he couldn't stand, and he was shaking in pain; I came home to this so I have no idea how long he was like this. It was sad to lose a member of the flock, I have had chickens for 7 years and he was my first and only loss last year. The vets in my area aren't poultry vets, and I wouldn't trust them unless they knew poultry, I trust the wonderful people on BYC to help with anything!

5 month old cockerel. About one and a half weeks ago he was puffed up with his head drawn in and didn't want to come out of the coop with the rest of the flock. I separated him into my hospital coop. He did seem to have some difficulty swallowing, when he tried to drink water it just sort of drooled back out of his mouth.
Since then I have wormed him and have been giving him vitamins in his water. He seems to be acting mostly normally. A bit low on eating. His poop is normal.
The behavior that makes me unsure if it safe to put him back with the flock is that he will occasionally stare with his beak wide open for 30 sec to a min. It's just strange.
Can you please post some photos of the cockerel and his poop?
What do you feed including treats?
What did you use to de-worm and the dosage?
Do you know if he was vaccinated for Marek's?
Is he the only cockerel that was with the flock?

I agree, look inside his beak. I would also check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight.
Offer him a wet mash of his normal feed, add a little bit of scrambled egg to entice him to eat. Watch to see if he's drinking o.k.

I don't have a picture of his poop. I will try to take one tomorrow.
I feed 16% protein all flock.
A handful of scratch in the evening (between 11 chickens).
I dewormed with safeguard 1cc
He was not vaxed for Mareks (he is not showing any of the signs of neurological Mareks)
There is another cockerel, same age, had been the subordinate fellow.
I have looked in his throat and don't see any lesions or anything else odd.

He is drinking. He did not seem interested in the wet mash, maybe picked at it a tiny bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20201013_184258169.jpg
    IMG_20201013_184258169.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom