Cockerel or just a jerk?

PhiberOptikx

Chirping
Oct 3, 2014
What do you think, cockerel or just a jerk? This is Red. At first I thought it was a pullet that just liked to boss everyone around and even pecks me if I am not doing what it wants. But then the comb started to change overnight. So opinions please. 5 week old EE btw.

Sounds like he needs an attitude adjustment while he is still young. One of our roos decided to give me a hard peck when he was about 5 weeks old. The minute he did it I reached out, grabbed him by his legs pulled them out from under him and put him into a 'down,submissive' position on the ground and held him there with my other hand until he stopped squawking and fighting me. It didn't take long, maybe 10 to 15 seconds until he gave up. Once he became submissive, I picked him up and cuddled him for a minute before turning him lose again. That was the last time he pecked me. He's 11 weeks old this weekend and while the hormones haven't kicked in completely yet he's still respecting me as dominate. If he messes up again, he will get put on the ground really fast. I respect our boys for the job they do but they are going to respect me as their caretaker.

Do some searches here on BYC for dealing with roosters who are 'jerks'. It's not impossible to do and if he doesn't bend to your way of thinking, there is always the stew pot solution.

Last edited:
Lol. That sounds like a good way to change his mind. Honestly though, I bought 26 straight run in anticipation of having some roos for dinner. So, the fact that he lost the hormone lottery was bad enough. The attitude was the last nail for him since I have so many others to choose from to stick around.

Back
Top Bottom