Cockerel rushing my wife

msprey2g4e

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 7, 2016
Algonac, MI
I have a 28 week old cockerel, haven't had any troubles, he's actually quite gentle when it comes to the hen mating business. Until just this weekend he had 5 hens, he now has 13. However in the last couple days, he's started rushing and grabbing the fence when my wife is standing there and recently my 5 year old grand daughter as well. Is he showing aggression or trying to mate? If this is aggression, what can be done to stop it? He does nothing of the sort when I am near, nothing. He now has my wife scared and worried. Any advice???

I haven't had to deal with a rough rooster but don't stand down. If your wife wants she can carry a broom for protection. Give him a little swat when he acts up and show him who's in charge. He's young still so you have a chance. Some people say making a rooster squat like a hen does shows him who's in charge.
See what other people say and try a few things. His hormones are off and running and he has lots of girls to look after.
Good Luck

The broom will serve as protection, but it is unlikely to change his attitude. To him it is as if you are challenging him back and he is going to try to prove he is the bigger tougher rooster. I have had better luck with grabbing the offending rooster and carrying him upside down for a while. If nothing else works, a long soothing hot bath with some onions, garlic, and a bay leaf is a sure cure.

I had the most beautiful tolbunt polish roo and I worked with it for months and months. I think I tried it all. He just kept getting meaner. He ended up in a cage for GS safety . No way for a chicken to live really. I carry scars from him and so does GS.

Some animals fight for supremacy. If this is what's going through his mind, and you fight back, he'll just think 'game on!' ie that you have accepted his challenge and he'll just keep trying. There's some excellent info on this site about feisty roos. That said, only a few weeks ago I had to get rid of my roo - my attention wandered and he put his spur deep into my leg like it was an ice pick. Be careful. Carry something between you and him. Figure out why he is doing this. And don't be afraid to take hard line if you have ANY concerns about the safety of your wife / child / self.

PS my chap (Colin was his name) never went for my husband, only me. There's a big size difference between us.

My rooster Napoleon does that to everyone but my father and me. I have these boots that he ignores, but any other shoe-especially pink crocs-totally sets him off. I keep him for hawk and predator protection though.

Back
Top Bottom