Cockerel temperament?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. I have several promising boys right now who are going through their hormonal stage without trouble who will probably be eaten since very few want to buy them.
So most good cockerels never really go through an aggression stage? I really don’t want to see him eaten I’m hoping if he’s not a good fit for us with small kids he would be good for another chicken owner he seems like a good rooster who will be protective over the hens but we also are very hands on with the kids and I don’t want to take chances on hopes either, but I need/want a rooster for our flock I definitely don’t want to just give up on him I’ve become attatched but he’s not making it easy this week 😅

I don't like the sound of that behaver at all!
A cockerel that I want to keep, is one that even when at his most hormonal keeps out of my reach, doesn't annoy the hens or pullets, is polite and calm.
By the sounds of it, he is seeing you as another cockerel, not the care giver who is completely outside of the pecking order.
There are so many good cockerels out there, who never get a chance at having a flock of their own. Maybe give one of them a chance instead?
In the future, don't handle cockerels much, don't hand feed them. Let them grow up and learn about the world on their own, and most are better mannered. But all cockerels are different, and no matter how you raise them some will be great, and others will be nightmares.
I’m not liking it either 😔 so should I just try to steer clear and keep my distance no handling him and see if that changes his disposition as a last ditch effort instead of trying to “earn his trust” by continuing loving on him which he used to love he would get jealous and demand to be held and loved on and now is like Jekyll and hyde I may need to rename him😂 but if things don’t get better he will unfortunately have to go I just want to know I tried everything

I have 2 small kids but the confusing part is when my son goes in with me or we are with the chickens never once has the cockerel gone for or shown aggression towards him yet (not saying it won’t happen and I surely won’t be taking chances the first sign of anything towards my kids he’s gone) but it seems to be mostly taken out on me and my husband for handling the hens? But it could also be I’m always in between the rooster and my son and I have told him don’t go near him or any of the hens he’s over

I wouldn't even give him the one change to show aggression. An aggressive rooster can maim, disfigure, or blind a child the very first time he strikes -- not to mention instilling a lifelong fear/dislike of chickens.

So most good cockerels never really go through an aggression stage?

Correct.

Right now there is a near 100% chance that some nice cockerel is up for sale (or even for free), on your local Craigslist (or equivalent if you're not in the US (BTW, if you put your general location into your profile we can give better-targeted advice -- climate matters), and he's going to be eaten if no one wants him.

If you're anywhere near central NC, mine are $5 except for the mature flockmaster and the rare Splash Australorps.

so should I just try to steer clear and keep my distance no handling him and see if that changes his disposition as a last ditch effort

No. Bluntly, you should eat him. Or, if you can't manage that, plant him under a new rose bush. Or give him to someone you know will eat him.

I know those aren't words you want to hear, but someone is going to get seriously hurt. :(

So most good cockerels never really go through an aggression stage? I really don’t want to see him eaten I’m hoping if he’s not a good fit for us with small kids he would be good for another chicken owner he seems like a good rooster who will be protective over the hens but we also are very hands on with the kids and I don’t want to take chances on hopes either, but I need/want a rooster for our flock I definitely don’t want to just give up on him I’ve become attatched but he’s not making it easy this week 😅
My cockerels that were raised by hens within the flock never became aggressive. They learned the natural order and chicken etiquette from day one. When raised by humans, cockerels imprint on people instead and this can lead to identity confusion and aggressiveness is often the result. My cockerels that were raised by me were all aggressive, and I wasn’t able to correct that, maybe some people have better luck/technique. I’m sticking with hen raised boys from now on.

This is what I’m so unsure about him. I just went to feed and water the chickens this morning and little Richard didn’t approach me or try to attack me once the only times he approached He was watching and gentle and He stood over his hens, let me pick some up and clean the waterer and fill everything he was close and didn’t come for me he kept his distance and didn’t try me but this is the unpredictability like he can be so good this morning?

Todays behavior is not the worst. It will get worse. Sometimes it will be days before the next attack, but it is coming. He is warning you as loud as he can, that he is aggressive and will attack your children. Why are you waiting for him to actually attack your children for the decision?

Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people. I know he was the darling, "friendly and loving to be held," is how you see it. But they are not like puppies, in which if you love on them, they become life long friends.

Instead, when he approaches you for cuddles, what he is seeing is you are no threat, he has no respect for you. Chicken society is about pecking order. Every single chicken is either above or below, marches forth, or backs down from another bird in the society.

People often hope there is a way to train the aggressiveness out of a cockerel, but they do not start until the bird begins to show signs of aggression, it is IMO way too late at that point. There is not a lot of brain to work with, they are largely controlled by hormones. In my experience, once aggressive - they never loose that to the point that they can be trusted with all people. They are opportunist, which makes your children vulnerable. They tend to attack children first, then women and then men. BUT EACH ATTACK TENDS TO BECOME MORE VIOLENT. Inexperienced people vastly underestimate how violent an attack can be.

I am thinking perhaps wrongly, that these are your first chickens. At 16 weeks, not only can he be aggressive to people, but often times cockerels at this age can make the pullets lives miserable, especially if raised in a flock mate group without older hens to teach some manners. He is the biggest bird out there and becomes the bully.

I have read posts where people do keep an aggressive bird, and when going out to the coop/run they wear boots, padded jackets, gloves and heavy pants so they can take the attack without injury. That is not my cup of tea. I want to enjoy a peaceful flock.

This is not the bird he was last week. There really is no going back to that. One should not keep a cockerel chick unless they can dispatch them if they progress to this behavior. Why you think someone else would like a bird that bites and attacks does not make much sense.

Mrs K

This is what I’m so unsure about him. I just went to feed and water the chickens this morning and little Richard didn’t approach me or try to attack me once the only times he approached He was watching and gentle and He stood over his hens, let me pick some up and clean the waterer and fill everything he was close and didn’t come for me he kept his distance and didn’t try me but this is the unpredictability like he can be so good this morning?
Todays behavior is not the worst. It will get worse. Sometimes it will be days before the next attack, but it is coming. He is warning you as loud as he can, that he is aggressive and will attack your children. Why are you waiting for him to actually attack your children for the decision?

Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people. I know he was the darling, "friendly and loving to be held," is how you see it. But they are not like puppies, in which if you love on them, they become life long friends.

Instead, when he approaches you for cuddles, what he is seeing is you are no threat, he has no respect for you. Chicken society is about pecking order. Every single chicken is either above or below, marches forth, or backs down from another bird in the society.

People often hope there is a way to train the aggressiveness out of a cockerel, but they do not start until the bird begins to show signs of aggression, it is IMO way too late at that point. There is not a lot of brain to work with, they are largely controlled by hormones. In my experience, once aggressive - they never loose that to the point that they can be trusted with all people. They are opportunist, which makes your children vulnerable. They tend to attack children first, then women and then men. BUT EACH ATTACK TENDS TO BECOME MORE VIOLENT. Inexperienced people vastly underestimate how violent an attack can be.

I am thinking perhaps wrongly, that these are your first chickens. At 16 weeks, not only can he be aggressive to people, but often times cockerels at this age can make the pullets lives miserable, especially if raised in a flock mate group without older hens to teach some manners. He is the biggest bird out there and becomes the bully.

I have read posts where people do keep an aggressive bird, and when going out to the coop/run they wear boots, padded jackets, gloves and heavy pants so they can take the attack without injury. That is not my cup of tea. I want to enjoy a peaceful flock.

This is not the bird he was last week. There really is no going back to that. One should not keep a cockerel chick unless they can dispatch them if they progress to this behavior. Why you think someone else would like a bird that bites and attacks does not make much sense.

Mrs K

This is my first round of chickens which is why I am asking the question I’ve never owned a rooster and I’m looking for advice or experiences of others to see if it was a phase or not I am not waiting for my children to get attacked before giving him away? I’m trying to make a responsible informed decision about a living being before rehoming him or god forbid ending his life by the sounds of it without giving him a chance my children aren’t allowed to be near the chickens unsupervised to ensure safety for both my kids and also the chickens to make sure they are being handled appropriately and not treated like play things I don’t and will not give the rooster a chance to go for my kids I always stand between them and my son knows do NOT go near the rooster for his safety and I don’t know what could happen and he doesn’t. And it’s sounding like it won’t get better so in all reality I won’t be keeping him. But im not basing it around waiting on my kids to get attacked? I just needed more education of rooster/cockerel behaviors, knowing now what everyone has told me and the availability of kind roosters is making me lean more towards he’s not going to fit our flock or family. I’ve also never once seen him attack or go for the hens if anything he lets them eat and watches over them

There is not a lot of brain to work with, they are largely controlled by hormones.

Indeed.

When I butcher a cockerel, unless he's low bird in the group, his testicles are generally as big as his head.

(The white ovals, for people unfamiliar with them).
0222221133-jpg.3019591

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom