Cockerel thinks he's bigger than he really is?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IcarusSomnio, Jul 23, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    I let the younger chickens out of the coop for the first time today to explore the yard. I also have my brood hen and her three chicks roaming the place (the fourth is inside with a hurt leg). WELL, the momma hen does not like the other chicks around HER babies, so naturally she chases them off. It didn't take long for the new chicks to get the whole 'Do Not Come Near Momma

My bantam Sebrights are about three months old, small little dudes. But the little cockerel thinks he's the biggest, baddest boy on the block. So he decided that he wasn't going to take any abuse...especially from a girl!

So this TINY little cockerel puffs up his chest, fluffs his neck feathers...and goes up against this huge standard Cochin hen! A broody hen, at that! So SHE decides to do the same thing...they actually duked it out! [​IMG]

The Sebright lost, but his ego remained uncrushed. He then went on to spar with the Sebright pullet. At least she's the same size [​IMG]

Tonight on WORLD WIDE CHICKEN SPARRING...

[​IMG]

VS.

[​IMG]

Pardon the mess, I was in the middle of putting out more food and cleaning out the water dishes when I ran to get my camera. I didn't get around to lawn mowing today either as I had originally intended...can't you tell? [​IMG]

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

someone told me a long time ago that in the barnyard, the bantam breeds might not start all the cr*p but they won't hesitate to finish it! Meaning that they are usually very spunky fellas in tiny packages! I have a VERY big barred rock rooster who will run like a screaming little girl from my OEGB bantam BBred (Mr. Big Stuff). Mr. Big Stuff will run him all over the VERY large run and backyard until Brock (the BR) is exhausted and gasping for breath. At that point, Mr. Big Stuff will walk away but still keep an eye on Brock as if to say, "And don't you forget it, Buster. There's more where that came from. I'm keeping my eye on you..." [​IMG] If Brock would turn around and face him down a time or two, he might actually have some peace. At this point, it doesn't look likely. He is at least bright enough to stay on the opposite side of the run from Mr. Big Stuff. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by