Cockerel too young?

Taj_MaChicken

Songster
May 26, 2019
NW Kentucky
Sitting with the chickies tonight, we observed our roughly 9 week old (he may be 8.5) French Wheaten Maran cockerel mount the same type of pullet. She threw him off her and got in his face and he backed off.

He's been pretty laid back until now. And he didn't try with any of the 11 other girls. I'm just concerned because we have two 7 week old bantam Polish who look tiny next to him.

Is this normal at this age? And at what point do I worry about separating?

No need to worry about separating a cockerel from the pullets. Regardless of how old he is, if he's annoying and stressing out the girls, just do it.

I have two adult roos, father and son. They can get pretty frisky at times, and the very old hens, ages eight to eleven, get so stressed that they hide in the coop and won't come out even to eat until I exile the boys and their hormones to the outside perimeter of the run.

The result is the boys putter around, doing their own thing, and spend the rest of the time standing at the windows of the run girl watching. This works splendidly for all.

Sitting with the chickies tonight, we observed our roughly 9 week old (he may be 8.5) French Wheaten Maran cockerel mount the same type of pullet. She threw him off her and got in his face and he backed off.

He's been pretty laid back until now. And he didn't try with any of the 11 other girls. I'm just concerned because we have two 7 week old bantam Polish who look tiny next to him.

Is this normal at this age? And at what point do I worry about separating?
Just watch him. If he starts abusing the Polish pullets, it's time to separate him. It sounds like the Marans pullet is willing and capable of knocking some sense into him though.

Watch and make sure he doesn’t force himself on the others.Regardless of her sticking up for herself some birds are too aggressive and can hurt the others,Ben prepares to separate him until the hens are ready to be bred.

Just watch him. If he starts abusing the Polish pullets, it's time to separate him. It sounds like the Marans pullet is willing and capable of knocking some sense into him though.
The Marans pullet squares off with him quite a bit lol

Thanks. I guess I'll just watch and see how it goes. I just thought he was hitting puberty a bit early.

I just thought he was hitting puberty a bit early.
Remember that 'mounting' is not always about sex....but also dominance, which is what you probably saw.

He is, but it's not unheard of. I've read of people saying they heard their 3 week old cockerel trying to crow.
I have too, and seen the videos......and heard it in my coop this week, 1 week old made distinctly crowing rather than peeping sounds 2 days in a row. Broody chicks were distressed that mama went outside and left them alone, they were all peeping loudly then a couple longer drawn out vocalizations. I was like :eek:

Remember that 'mounting' is not always about sex....but also dominance, which is what you probably saw.

I have too, and seen the videos......and heard it in my coop this week, 1 week old made distinctly crowing rather than peeping sounds 2 days in a row. Broody chicks were distressed that mama went outside and left them alone, they were all peeping loudly then a couple longer drawn out vocalizations. I was like :eek:
Kids. They always want to grow up so fast.

Back
Top Bottom