Cockerel vs. hound

If I am paying attention, he doesn’t do it. In larger cities they warn women stay off phone and be aware of their surrounding to prevent muggings, etc. I feel like I have been stalked and mugged twice by a hoodlum rooster! Ugh.
This right here tells me it is time for him to go. He's not responding to any percieved threat, just being a bully for the sake of being a bully.
Get rid of him. Your life will be better if you don't have to look over your shoulder constantly in your own home.

This right here tells me it is time for him to go. He's not responding to any percieved threat, just being a bully for the sake of being a bully.
Get rid of him. Your life will be better if you don't have to look over your shoulder constantly in your own home.
Yes. I think that is the best option. Life is hard enough these days without having to be constantly on guard in my own “castle”. Since I am unfamiliar with particular behaviors, I am thankful for the advise received! Helps me to understand what we possibly did to embolden him, and also to know that he won’t change. Thanks again!

I have multiple cockerels and cock birds, and do pay attention, BUT not because any of them are trying to take me out! My adults have been safe for over a year, at least, and the four new cockerels I've kept this summer are so far just fine. If anyone decides to think bad thoughts towards me, or anyone, he's going to be removed, ASAP.
I've done the 'retraining' thing, and IMO, as a breeder, no such cock bird needs to reproduce here.
It's about peace, and safety, and good genetics moving forward.
Mary

He belongs in your crock pot, or someone else's. If you decide to 'rehome' him, do it with full disclosure! He's a danger to people, especially very short people (children!!!).
Mary
Oh no.. I won’t “rehome” him. He is my responsibility. A different outcome would be preferred , but good or bad, it is my responsibility. I know more today than I did yesterday. I never really wanted a rooster (he was supposed to be a she). But, i saw good attributes of protecting the girls that has changed my mind. However, I am going to educate myself a bit more before I get another one... thank you for helping!

No, tho his nose is much more acute!
I would check for glaucoma. When I have had hounds targeted by a rooster, the dog often could not see as well or was too old to react. Rooster pushing issue too much with a more active dog can get chomped once a dog has had enough. I have had dogs that appeared whipped that decided the crap stops and dog acting in anger can kill a lot quicker than one playing a chicken to death.

Last edited:
There are genetics involved in this set of behaviors. The fighting game bird folks have bred their roosters to be insanely eager to fight each other, and to be very human friendly and polite. This shows that the behaviors are 'wired' somewhat differently in chickens, and selecting breeding stock away from human aggression pays off!
Good flock protectors aren't stalking the giants who bring food, or horses, or pink elephants, they are watching for actual risks, like raptors and ground predators, sounding the alarm, and treating their hens nicely.
Mary
Well, Teddy has started harassing the First Ladies! He grabs them by the wing feathers as they try to get away. He did start crowing at an early age, so, at 15 weeks, he may be ready even if the girls aren't!

I would check for glaucoma. When I have had hounds targeted by a rooster, the dog often could not see as well or was too old to react. Rooster pushing issue too much with a more active dog can get chomped once a dog has had enough. I have had dogs that appeared whipped that decided the crap stops and dog acting in anger can kill a lot quicker than one playing a chicken to death.
He just had a check up yesterday and everything is fine. He's just very mellow! If he does decide to fight back, I'll be rooting for Buzz!

I've told TR that if tries to bully me I'm going to punt him across the road!

Back
Top Bottom