Cockerel vs Pullets

NinaJoy

Chirping
Dec 18, 2020
I've learned my 8-month-old Delware Cockerel is food aggressive (even to me). Noticed this morning he's kinda being mean to the Pullets when they came out of the coop and he chased them away from the food dish. He's also been stomping a lot lately and chasing the pullets, I'm assuming he's looking for some action which I haven't witnessed yet and am prepared to be traumatized... Clearly I'm new, this may all be normal but thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance!

I've learned my 8-month-old Delware Cockerel is food aggressive (even to me). Noticed this morning he's kinda being mean to the Pullets when they came out of the coop and he chased them away from the food dish. He's also been stomping a lot lately and chasing the pullets, I'm assuming he's looking for some action which I haven't witnessed yet and am prepared to be traumatized... Clearly I'm new, this may all be normal but thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance!
I would be wary of that, being food aggressive to future mates is not a good thing. Most roos will call to their harem to give them first access to food, not chase them away from it. That's not a good sign, to me at least.

I have had roosters like this and its not normal.
He is an aggressive rooster he will mistreat the hens and may start attacking you.
They sometimes calm down at two years old when they have a handle on their hormones but there is no guarantee and he might pass this trait down to offspring.

I would be wary of that, being food aggressive to future mates is not a good thing. Most roos will call to their harem to give them first access to food, not chase them away from it. That's not a good sign, to me at least.
That makes sense because I thought what you're saying IS what they do. Dang it... maybe I'll just not do the Rooster thing moving forward. He's my second one and they just seem like assholes so far.
I'll keep an eye out for now and if he is in fact keeping them from the food then he'll become my food.

I have had roosters like this and its not normal.
He is an aggressive rooster he will mistreat the hens and may start attacking you.
They sometimes calm down at two years old when they have a handle on their hormones but there is no guarantee and he might pass this trait down to offspring.
Thank you. I thought it was off. He did go after me once when I had food in a bag and I thought it was just food aggression. Thinking I'll have to cull this guy.

That makes sense because I thought what you're saying IS what they do. Dang it... maybe I'll just not do the Rooster thing moving forward. He's my second one and they just seem like assholes so far.
I'll keep an eye out for now and if he is in fact keeping them from the food then he'll become my food.
What I would do is.. shop around for a rooster. If someone isn't willing to let you come observe him prior to purchase, its a no-go. I checked out probably a dozen roosters before deciding on my boy, and I chose him based on his behavior with hens and the fact that he's a very polite and friendly roo. Sometimes the crossbreeds are very friendly, I've found that most of the EE crosses I've observed have been nicer than the "purebred" ones I checked out. Dont give up on roos, just find a nice one to breed some really nice and friendly babies from!
Edit: ive also found that roosters that grow up in a flock being put in their place by their own dad tend to be friendlier and better behaved little gentlemen with the girls.
Edit #2: my boy is only about 8 months old, and he's very well behaved. Age is sometimes an issue, but a lot of the time, if they're dicks when they're young, they'll only get worse until they're fully through chicken puberty. There's also not a guarantee that he'll calm down as he ages.

What I would do is.. shop around for a rooster. If someone isn't willing to let you come observe him prior to purchase, its a no-go. I checked out probably a dozen roosters before deciding on my boy, and I chose him based on his behavior with hens and the fact that he's a very polite and friendly roo. Sometimes the crossbreeds are very friendly, I've found that most of the EE crosses I've observed have been nicer than the "purebred" ones I checked out. Dont give up on roos, just find a nice one to breed some really nice and friendly babies from!
Edit: ive also found that roosters that grow up in a flock being put in their place by their own dad tend to be friendlier and better behaved little gentlemen with the girls.
Edit #2: my boy is only about 8 months old, and he's very well behaved. Age is sometimes an issue, but a lot of the time, if they're dicks when they're young, they'll only get worse until they're fully through chicken puberty. There's also not a guarantee that he'll calm down as he ages.
THANK YOU!
I'll do just that. I really love having a Rooster around and love the crowing. BUT, I definitely want a good rooster for the gals.
I'm not particular at all on breed and will take your advice. Thank you again, I really appreciate the help here :)

THANK YOU!
I'll do just that. I really love having a Rooster around and love the crowing. BUT, I definitely want a good rooster for the gals.
I'm not particular at all on breed and will take your advice. Thank you again, I really appreciate the help here :)
You're welcome! Its hard because a lot of people get rid of nasty boys, and try to sell them as a decent roo. You've really got to check them out. I'd recommend finding a local backyard keeper who has a nice, well behaved roo who puts his sons in their place and makes sure they know how to treat a lady. May be a little more pricey if they're older roos, but well worth it. My boy was $15, but his personality and protective nature is worth a million, I swear. He's also good with babies who aren't even his. You just have to really look to find the right boy for your flock!

You're welcome! Its hard because a lot of people get rid of nasty boys, and try to sell them as a decent roo. You've really got to check them out. I'd recommend finding a local backyard keeper who has a nice, well behaved roo who puts his sons in their place and makes sure they know how to treat a lady. May be a little more pricey if they're older roos, but well worth it. My boy was $15, but his personality and protective nature is worth a million, I swear. He's also good with babies who aren't even his. You just have to really look to find the right boy for your flock!
I hate that we have to worry about that - shady people suck. Honestly, it never even dawned on me to watch the bird in his flock first. DUH.
I'm looking on a local page right now and will specifically ask if whomever I'm interested in has been raised with the dad. I don't mind dropping some cash on a good Roo, seems a better option than picking up free assholes. Lol. I'll make sure to pass along your advice when the time arises too, really appreciate this.

I hate that we have to worry about that - shady people suck. Honestly, it never even dawned on me to watch the bird in his flock first. DUH.
I'm looking on a local page right now and will specifically ask if whomever I'm interested in has been raised with the dad. I don't mind dropping some cash on a good Roo, seems a better option than picking up free assholes. Lol. I'll make sure to pass along your advice when the time arises too, really appreciate this.
Glad to help! Been around too many nasty roosters to not try to give some advice on avoiding them. Good luck on your rooster hunt!

Back
Top Bottom