cockerel? with a rooster?

laurendz12

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2019
im pretty sure my lil seabright is going to be a rooster. the only problem is i that already have a rooster. a big boy meany lol. i only have 4 hens. how do i keep them all together as a flock? is it possible?
20190413_151233.jpg
20190404_194730.jpg

The young roo will be picked on and harassed by the older roo so I would get rid of one of them. Or get more hens.

With only 4 hens you have 4 options.
1- A second batchelor coop for both roosters kept separate from the hens.
2- Atempt to integrate him into the flock, potentially over mating and stressing then hens or injuring them, and risking serious fighting (and injuries) over the hens.
3- Rehome one of them.
Option 4- get a few more hens if your space allows it.

im pretty sure my lil seabright is going to be a rooster. the only problem is i that already have a rooster. a big boy meany lol. i only have 4 hens. how do i keep them all together as a flock? is it possible?
Sebrights are tiny little birds, they may not fare well with large fowl even if it was a female. Do you only have the one Sebright chick?

Oh, and..Welcome to BYC! @laurendz12

im pretty sure my lil seabright is going to be a rooster. the only problem is i that already have a rooster. a big boy meany lol. i only have 4 hens. how do i keep them all together as a flock? is it possible?View attachment 1737158 View attachment 1737161
Yes it's possible. It's easier if the cockerel is the son of the rooster,or otherwise related.
No, it isn't usually easy. The cockerel will be driven away from the hens by the senior rooster so at the point he becomes interested in mating, the probability is you will become his chosen mate.
This causes all sorts of problems and often at this stage the cockerel's behavior is seen as the start of aggressive behavior by those who do not understand much about chickens.
It depends on whether you are prepared to put up with a wiggling bunch of feathers attached to your boot or shoe for a few months, if you are prepared to get more hens if necessary, if you are prepared to patch up the wounds after the inevitable fights.
In short, if you are prepared to put the work in you can make it work one way or another.

It’s possible but it’s likely not gonna go well and the results won’t be easy.You have too little hens for two males.Soemtiems it’s too late and one will end up dead one day, basing off you only have a few chickens your pen probably isn’t that large, and roosters need a lot of space, that way the subordinates can move out the way easier without getting attacked.I have had Father/son situations go totally left.Before I could even do anything the son was on the floor one morning twitching,so if you do keep two, just be prepared for the things you could wound up dealing with(ended up culling the poor guy).I see younger roosters growing up in the flocks go way smoother,They were also unrelated, however I have had related roosters grow in the same flock and did just fine, and I have had cockerels grow up and try to kill each other the next day.Male poultry can be almost unpredictable sometimes.However over the years I have found small warning signs that allow me to know when things between the boys may begin getting heated.Lots competitive crowing more often, stare downs, and etc.

This is a space issue, I agree with the above poster, I am assuming that you have set up for 4-6 hens. I would not keep either rooster in a small set up.

To keep both IMO you need a set up of about 30 hens and the space to accommodate them. Then it might work, but roosters are a crap shoot, and it might not work, however, your odds would be better.

The odds of two roosters and 4 hens working out are very, very, very low. The odds of a full size rooster, and a small size rooster sharing a small space, and very few hens gets even lower.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom