Cockerel with a swollen abdomen

Thanks Kathy. The more research I do, I also agree. I am surprised by his age (4 months) but otherwise it fits. I just hate knowing there is nothing I can do to help him, just to cull. :(

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I had a hen with those symptoms and tried many things but did not get any results. Ended up having to cull her. She just kept going downhill and was starting to suffer.

Thanks Kathy. The more research I do, I also agree. I am surprised by his age (4 months) but otherwise it fits. I just hate knowing there is nothing I can do to help him, just to cull.
sad.png

Thanks to everyone for your input.
When did his belly start to swell? If you do decide to cull him, try draining the fluid first. Once the fluid is drained he might be able to lead a normal, active life for a few months.

Can you post a picture of his poop?

-Kathy

When did his belly start to swell? If you do decide to cull him, try draining the fluid first. Once the fluid is drained he might be able to lead a normal, active life for a few months.

Can you post a picture of his poop?

-Kathy

Well, I've been busy and haven't been able to just sit and observe lately but I noticed his change in posture Thanksgiving day. I am sure it has been going on for a while to be so full but I don't handle him daily either.

I am afraid I will hit something I shouldn't if I stick a needle in. Plus I will have to get a needle.

I can try to get a pic tomorrow but his poop is solidish in that it makes a shape that stays when he poops. It is moist and easy to break up when I used a stick to move it around, checking for worms or anything odd. It looks normal to me, color is okay too. Or I guess I should say in the range of normal as that can be a wide variety with chickens.
wink.png

Is the fluid draw any more difficult than bumblefoot surgery? I have managed to make it through that and surprise myself. Will the fluid draw become a recurring event? Not sure if I have the energy/time for a special needs chicken.

Thanks.

I've drained a few that had ascite dues to cancer, internal laying or some type of infection, and some of those went months before draining was needed again. Also had one die while draining, and a couple that died a week later, so who knows? It's probably something you'd want to try if you decied to cull him. Never done a bumble, so can't comment on that.

-Kathy

I've drained a few that had ascite dues to cancer, internal laying or some type of infection, and some of those went months before draining was needed again. Also had one die while draining, and a couple that died a week later, so who knows? It's probably something you'd want to try if you decied to cull him. Never done a bumble, so can't comment on that.

-Kathy

Okay, I'm just a bit squeamish with medical procedures. How do you know how far and where to put the needle in? He still has all his feathers but I know that when they get wet they kind of expose the skin. Did you just let the fluid drain out on it's own, or did you pull it out with the syringe?

I am trying to talk myself into it. I would probably be more pro-active and anxious if it were a pullet but as of now I need to thin out the boys anyway. I guess he would be a good test subject anyway since I am not as invested in his survival. I don't think I would feel quite as bad if I botched the procedure. I just hate not trying on any of them. Things like this are the worst part of having birds.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom