Cockerel with a swollen abdomen

Since you are thinking he may need to be culled, he is the perfect candidate for you to practice on. I always examine my chickens after i cull them. The first couple of them were a little rough to do. But think how glad you will be, if you have a hen that may have to be drained someday. You will be glad you practiced.......

Since you are thinking he may need to be culled, he is the perfect candidate for you to practice on. I always examine my chickens after i cull them. The first couple of them were a little rough to do. But think how glad you will be, if you have a hen that may have to be drained someday. You will be glad you practiced.......

Thanks for the encouragement.
hugs.gif

Kathy,

Got my needle/syringe and will be headed home shortly. Any advice before I poke my little bird?

I am good to clean the area with alcohol or iodine? I think that is all I have available.

Also wondering if you just let it flow out or did you use the syringe to pull it out?

Last edited:
Kathy,

Got my needle/syringe and will be headed home shortly.  Any advice before I poke my little bird?

I am good to clean the area with alcohol or iodine?  I think that is all I have available.

Can you go get some betadine or chlorhexadine at a pharmacy? What gauge needle did you get? An 18 is what I use. Do you also have a 30ml syringe?

-Kathy

Can you go get some betadine or chlorhexadine at a pharmacy? What gauge needle did you get? An 18 is what I use. Do you also have a 30ml syringe?

-Kathy

I can see about the betadine or chlorhexadine.  18 gage needle with a 3ml syringe.

3 cc might be kind of small, but you can probably make it work.

Hen was plucked, then cleaned with Chlorhexidine, had a 1" 18 gauge needle inserted and using a 30 ml syringe I syringed out about 500 ml of fluid. Your guy is small, right? So you probably don't have to insert it very far. Here are some pictures:

Last edited:
You should be aware that the stress of handling him and trying to drain him might kill him.

-Kathy

Yes, I realize he might not make it, but he for sure isn't going to make it long without. He is a small bantam. He doesn't get too bent out of shape about being held but he is breathing hard when I hold him as I am sure the fluid is pressing on his lungs/heart when I hold him.

So I do use the syringe to draw it out? Or just to get it to start draining?

The pics look almost like it is just oozing out. It looks kind of like cooking oil. If I get a different type/color fluid, should I stop?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom