Cockerel with crooked toes

RobertaD1

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 30, 2020
South West Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
I have a pretty 20 week old Rooster named Theodore. Since Teddy was about 6 weeks old one of his toes seemed to go out of joint. We would try to put it back into place, but would slip back out after an hour or so. Ok... it didnt bother him, so we let it be. 20200927_132920.jpg
He stays away from me, but I might have lured him in close for a couple
pictures... all bet are off for grapes. The toe to the side of the crooked one has also turned, but, not nearly as bad. He still scratches, runs, roosts, and tries to woo the ladies.
20200927_132918.jpg
Yesterday, I noticed his toe on the
Opposite foot is doing the same thing. It's only slightly... but I'm a little worried.
20200927_132808.jpg
SO..WHAT am I dealing with? What do I need to expect down the road? We are working hard with training on our manners, and even though we have hormones raging, we are still a gentleman. I HATE to think this is going to eventually cause trouble. If hes in terrible amounts of pain, we will of course end his suffering, but I would like to prolong any pain as long as I can.

Just dont know.. seems like a loose toe joint... only showed as he got older. Kinda reminds me of some teens who grow too fast. Hes fine... not looking for a cure, just wondering what it is.

I didn't notice this hens toe until she was older. I'm not certain if she broke it or it was always that way. She doesn't seem to notice it's crooked.

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_164132.jpg
    IMG_20200905_164132.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 13
Thank you! He seems to be ok with it, I hope it stays that way.
I would recommend not to breed these bird as you never really know whether it was caused by wrong (too hot) incubation temperatures or genetic disorders.

EDA: Due to this condition these affected birds will need extra care regarding their claws as they will not get worn down normally and might easily grow too long thus injuring the other toes or in case of a cockerel/rooster injuring hens when mating.

Last edited:
I would recommend not to breed these bird as you never really know whether it was caused by wrong (too hot) incubation temperatures or genetic disorders.

EDA: Due to this condition these affected birds will need extra care regarding their claws as they will not get worn down normally and might easily grow too long thus injuring the other toes or in case of a cockerel/rooster injuring hens when mating.
We were discussing that just last night. I have one hen already who insist on becoming broody when the moon is just right, so she gets a pedi every so often because of her nails. It's not fun... but, we do it. As I watched him yesterday, I realized he also needed a pedi....No kidding... I would rather take a punch in the nose then give a chicken a pedicure. :th
OH... and we weren't planning on breeding. If for some reason we do down the line, the other cockerel will be used.

Back
Top Bottom