nicalandia

Free Ranging
14 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Stuck In a Dream
My Coop
My Coop
I hope I can get some advise here.

I have a three month old cockerel with what I would say it's Newcastle(Neck bent forward and cant get ir straight) he has had it for more than a week(but less than two) I took him to the Vet and was told that once they have it You can't treat it, just hope for the Best. He eats and drinks(he is in solitary confinement) I am losing hope that he Will make a full recovery, I would hate to put him to sleep because he is of the Best Quality and very expensive. Should I hold on for a few more weeks?

I hope I can get some advise here.

I have a three month old cockerel with what I would say it's Newcastle(Neck bent forward and cant get ir straight) he has had it for more than a week(but less than two) I took him to the Vet and was told that once they have it You can't treat it, just hope for the Best. He eats and drinks(he is in solitary confinement) I am losing hope that he Will make a full recovery, I would hate to put him to sleep because he is of the Best Quality and very expensive. Should I hold on for a few more weeks?
Marvin, where are you living now?

Have you noticed respiratory symptoms with the symptom Wry Neck?

How warm is it? If weather is cool, then you may want to provide him with some additional heat.
Symptoms of Wry Neck are generally treated with vitamins - sometimes they help, other times not but worth a shot. Give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. A treat of egg once a day will help with the uptake of E.

Looking at my notes, Newcastles is a respiratory illness (virus) so an antibiotic wouldn't be effective for the virus, but it looks like treating for secondary E. Coli infection is something to consider. Baytril (enrofloxacin) would likely be a good choice considering your bird is valuable and I would assume he's not going into the stock pot. If you can't get that, then Amoxicillin can be used, but it's probably not as effective as Baytril. Let us know what you can get.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Marvin, where are you living now?

Have you noticed respiratory symptoms with the symptom Wry Neck?

How warm is it? If weather is cool, then you may want to provide him with some additional heat.
Symptoms of Wry Neck are generally treated with vitamins - sometimes they help, other times not but worth a shot. Give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. A treat of egg once a day will help with the uptake of E.

Looking at my notes, Newcastles is a respiratory illness (virus) so an antibiotic wouldn't be effective for the virus, but it looks like treating for secondary E. Coli infection is something to consider. Baytril (enrofloxacin) would likely be a good choice considering your bird is valuable and I would assume he's not going into the stock pot. If you can't get that, then Amoxicillin can be used, but it's probably not as effective as Baytril. Let us know what you can get.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
:goodpost: :goodpost:

My cockerel Made a very good recovery.

IMG_20210401_092026~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom