Cockerels or Pullets? Please advice. Thanks!

She seems to be more of a broker/hobbyist. But she has sales policies in place for straight runs, yet no mention of sexed pullets turning into cockerels. I’d contact her ASAP. Somethings fishy.

there are a couple of these birds that are assumptions, but like that cuckoo marans is definitely a boy, his white is too thick to not be.
I did checked with her for the Splash Olive Egger who was rather aggressive 1-2 weeks ago. She told me it's too early to tell.

The wyandotte #2 is the only definite boy. #1 and especially #3 still look a little girlish to me. Personality won't be a great indicator yet. My most aggressive bird at around that age was a white silkie pullet, and most boys don't start getting aggressive due to their hormones until after they start crowing.

#4 and #5 I have no idea, but they do look boyish. It's a lot easier if you buy a couple of the same breed from the same person, so you can compare their development. In two or three weeks you should know for sure.

Splash Olive Egger was 9 days old while the other four were 3 days old when I first got them.

the cuckoo marans has male feathering. Google cuckoo marans pullet and you will see the difference immediately.

that Wyandotte isn’t even a real Wyandotte, it has a straight comb. :-/ it’s clearly a boy because of the redness and wattles. The Jersey has wattles coming. im personally confident those three are boys.

The splash doesn’t have wattles yet but it’s got a red comb and three rows of bumps. Not a 100% indicator, but, suspicious with the behavior. Add it all together, I think that’s a boy, too. Wattles show later on Ameraucana and Ameraucana mixes.

Thanks for all your replies. I did contact the lady at Four Acorns Farm who sold me the chicks. She is rendering her help. I just want to be fair to her. Except for the Splash Olive Egger, who was sold straight and bred by her, the other sexed pullet chicks were sourced from another company by her. She trusted the company/hatchery so if the chicks turn out to be cockerels, it is the company that needs to be ultimately responsible. Just hope it's not going to be the case.

I am guessing that you are in an urban area that prohibits roosters.

Out here in the country and even in most places outside the US, the sale of chicks or chickens is final with no recourse except in cases of serious infectious diseases that could hurt the rest of the flock or even people. The breeder's primary responsibility is to provide healthy birds and identification to sex or breed is secondary.

I seriously doubt the hatchery will take back birds just because they are boys.

The folks at hatcheries work very hard to sex day-old chicks but the process isn't 100%. A huge number of baby chicks are destroyed (turned into dog or cat food) just because they are male.

Anyone who keeps chickens should know what they want to do if a boy or two shows up. There are lots of options. The most common option for urban chicken owners is to give away/rehome/sell to someone who lives in a rural area. Once again, final sale with no conditions except that it's a healthy bird.

Back
Top Bottom