Cockerels?

The standards are 2 days older. Would 2 chicks be good or do you recommend more?
Is there a reason to keep them separate?
How many standard size chicks do you have?

With only two days' difference in age, I would be inclined to put them all together and raise them as one group.

Well we have 2 coops and I don’t want to just let one not go to use and some of the big chicks are mean and they would probably kill a bantam. They pecked all of the feathers off on of my Columbian Wyandotte’s back (which is a week older than them), so I’m also playing it safe as I don’t want to lose any chicks.

In that case, I'd add a few of the standard pullets to the bantams.

It might make sense to move the ones that are at the bottom of the pecking order (standard size) into the bantam group.

For how many to add to the bantams, I would decide that by how big each coop is, and how many birds you ultimately want to have live in each coop. When figuring coop space, it usually works to allow 2 square feet per bantam and 4 square feet per standard sized chicken (so 2 bantams = 1 big chicken.)

In that case, I'd add a few of the standard pullets to the bantams.

It might make sense to move the ones that are at the bottom of the pecking order (standard size) into the bantam group.

For how many to add to the bantams, I would decide that by how big each coop is, and how many birds you ultimately want to have live in each coop. When figuring coop space, it usually works to allow 2 square feet per bantam and 4 square feet per standard sized chicken (so 2 bantams = 1 big chicken.)
I added 3. 1 Welsummer, 1 New Hampshire and 1 Wyandotte. They seem to be friends already so I have high hopes. Thanks for all your help @NatJ

Back
Top Bottom