Cockrel - Trouble or Normal?

PattyNH

Songster
6 Years
Sep 13, 2016
New Hampshire - USA
So I've raised chickens for a few years but never had cockrels. I now have 4 cockrels (13 weeks old). I am trying to rehome at least 3 if not all of them, but have had no luck. I also have 12 hens/pullets (2 @ 2yrs, 10 @ 13 weeks). Only one if my hens is laying currently. One cockrel has started mounting the laying hen and biting/pulling the feathers at the back of her neck. She's not been injured but does holler like crazy when this happens. He has done this with 1-2 of the pullets as well but I've seen that much less frequently. This has been going on for 2 days. I know cockrels can be inept at romancing (trying to use delicate language lol) females but also need to make reductions in my flock. To cut to the chase, would you cull the aggressive humper (who has honestly been the most aggressive brat overall for weeks) or separate him as he's also one of the two lead boys in the flock? I'd love some advice on how to choose which cockrel to keep, if any. My goal isn't to breed but to have a rooster (or 2 if it would work) to protect my free range flock.
@rachelsflock

@Wyorp Rock @Brahma Chicken5000 @aart @Chickassan @Texas Kiki

Last edited:
I would get rid of the rapist cockerel first... some are more aggressive with "romancing" than others, yes they can all go through a learning phase, but if one is obviously a problem while the others are not, then deal with the problem one first.

… One cockrel has started mounting the laying hen and biting/pulling the feathers at the back of her neck....

What you are seeing is normal and usual chicken behavior. Chicken sex is brief but confusing to the human eye. Because during chicken sex there is no penetration the male needs some way to keep his seat. He accomplishes this by holding on to the small feathers at the back of the hens head.

If you want to keep one, pick one and eat the rest.
Personally I only keep a male to sire the next generation of layers.
All extra males get put in the freezer between 12-16 weeks...multiple males are a PITA.
It's hard to see their true demeanor's until the others are gone.
My birds are confined, but even if I free ranged would not count on a male to protect the flock, many are just a speed bump on the way to the buffet.

I agree with @aart I would not rely on a cockerel/rooster for protection of the flock, they are no match for a predator. They are good at sounding the alarm and you may have one that stands in the way, gets eaten/attacked first while the girls make a get away or he may act like, well...a chicken! He may outrun those girls to safety:D

Seriously, you have 4 that are 13 weeks old, they are just barely getting started.
Separate out all 4 and continue to try to re-home, but while you are waiting, observe them and make your choice about who to keep.
Or if you can't re-home, then raise to eat.

This behavior is ordinary for a cockerel who has just commenced the mating habit. Cockerels tend to be more active and feisty at this stage and the rough process of mating generally dies down within a few months once they get control of it. If you are not comfortable with your hens being attacked roughly as described then you have every right to remove him. I have considered it before in my past of dealing with young males whose hormones suddenly kicked in. A cockerel will behave appropriately around a pullet or hen when he is mentally mature.

I agree with the others here.
Get rid of that humper lol.
I had 3 to deal with and I kept the one lowest on the pecking order that was the most skittish of me.
He’s turned out great although the romancing Of the ladies was quite the learning curve!
Older hens don’t want cockerels, especially at this time of year.
My girls have stopped or slacked off laying so they’re not happy about being bred by any male.
I also have a 5 month old BA cockerel that has wanted nothing to do with me since day one as a chick.
He’s actually turning out even better than the older one.

Back
Top Bottom