Cockroach infestationšŸŖ³ help

Polishchickenmom

Chirping
Feb 12, 2021
My neighbor mentioned her house being treated numerous times for cockroaches & I have used hone defense to keep them out of my house. It's been pretty successful until I found them in my dirt while working on a backyard project. I'm finding 100s of them under planters. They are basically under my chicken area. Under the pallet fence of the chickens. So.....if I use a pesticide on the dirt what can I do to keep the chickens safe?

Use diatomaceous earth dust. It's cheap and readily available at any garden center. Sprinkle it anywhere the little buggers hang out. You will have to reapply after a rain, but it is perfectly safe for chickens, pets, children, basically anything bigger than a mouse.

Many folks warn against using it inside a coop, due to the airborne dust particles. I use it and my birds are fine, and the coop is bug-free.

DE dust is an abundant natural mineral mined from the desert. When a bug gets it on their legs and they lick it off or eat it, it acts like razor blades on their guts. Very effective IMHO

My neighbor mentioned her house being treated numerous times for cockroaches & I have used hone defense to keep them out of my house. It's been pretty successful until I found them in my dirt while working on a backyard project. I'm finding 100s of them under planters. They are basically under my chicken area. Under the pallet fence of the chickens. So.....if I use a pesticide on the dirt what can I do to keep the chickens safe?
Walk around and flip items over/move items and call your chickens. They'll go nuts for them. Cockroaches are bird crack! My ducks love the big palmetto ones that live outside here in FL.

Walk around and flip items over/move items and call your chickens. They'll go nuts for them. Cockroaches are bird crack! My ducks love the big palmetto ones that live outside here in FL.
Thank you I did flip everything around & found more! Chickens were ignoring them originally & that is why I made the post. I'm happy to day they are now eating then! Yay, thank you!

Use diatomaceous earth dust. It's cheap and readily available at any garden center. Sprinkle it anywhere the little buggers hang out. You will have to reapply after a rain, but it is perfectly safe for chickens, pets, children, basically anything bigger than a mouse.

Many folks warn against using it inside a coop, due to the airborne dust particles. I use it and my birds are fine, and the coop is bug-free.

DE dust is an abundant natural mineral mined from the desert. When a bug gets it on their legs and they lick it off or eat it, it acts like razor blades on their guts. Very effective IMHO
I used the stronger powder used for mites & lice. Hopefully it helps. I already had DE spread in their area, so I assumed it didn't work. I'm going to check tomorrow & spread more DE in other areas hopefully it works. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom