COCKROACHES IN THE COOP

There is really nothing to do about the problem, it's dangerous to your chickens to use poison to control them. I ONLY have them during spring and summer, when it starts cooling off they go back into the woods. I use DE but so far that hasn't stopped them from being in the coop at night.

We have tons of earwigs too... and nasty furry black spiders. I can't wait to put the chickens in the barn... No more spider problem. And when those guineas hatch, ALL the bugs will really be screwed
lol.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We have some wild roaches, they are brown American ones, not the German cockroaches that you see in urban areas. As far as I know it is the German ones that carry all kinds of nasty diseases. Still I kill them any chance I get. Mostly they live in the woodpiles so I make sure all our woodpiles are far from the house and the barns, except for in winter when we have some all ready for burning in the wood stove.
And then any that are braving the cold by still being in the woodpile get incinerated.

Dust with 5% Sevin garden dust. It is safe--I dust my chickens for mites, lice, etc, when they show up. It also seems to kill the roaches. Dust under the feeders, where you find that they hide. It will help thin them out. OR, I have sprayed under the feeders and waterers with Ant and Roach spray. Have never had a problem with either of these bothering the chickens. Hopefully you can take care of the problem before hubby finds out about them.
tongue.png

the only thing you should be worried for are the roaches
My chickens just gobble the insects up

Back
Top Bottom