Cockroaches

Usedtowanna

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2015
We have such a cockroach problem in our coop. It's not all that far from the house so I'm concerned they will eventually make their way inside. How can we get rid of them without hurting our hens?

I use Ortho Home Defense around the the outside around my house esp. house windows and doors and i'm assuming it works because I don't get roaches.

As for your chickens take the food out at night so the roaches can eat a free for all while the chickens sleep and if the chickens are locked in the coop maybe back off the feed so they will scratch around and maybe eat the roaches themselves. I've also read, this: "Take a box or container with holes big enough for the roaches but to small for the chickens; put a small plate or such filled with water and one with baking soda. The water will attract the roaches, they will eat the baking soda and then blow up and die because they can't pass gas." I never tried it but I don't know if it works. I know it's not a good idea to poison bugs because the chickens might ingest the dead or dying bug and get themselves poisoned too.

Unless they are German roaches, they aren't going to infest your house. All cockroaches are not the same.

I have had an influx of oriental/wood roach activity due to the wet weather. They are most likely after old food and debris on the floor. Take up food at night and keep poo picked out and you should see them start to look elsewhere for rotting things to eat.

Ok thanks! They are a mix of German roaches (the bad ones! 😬) and wood roaches. I've been surprised that the chickens haven't been eating them. Good idea to cut back on feed!

Back
Top Bottom