Cockroaches

yogifink

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2013
Pinebluff, nc
My Coop
My Coop
Looking for some advice from fellow southern folk. How are you all controlling those large cockroaches, often referred to as water bugs? You know the ones that are big enough to each your leg?

I have been noticing them a bit around my feeding buckets and mixed into the deep litter in one of my coops. I currently mix DE into the bedding of the coop and into the deep littler, which seems to keep them somewhat at bay. Any one use a spray they recommend? Is Bayer complete insect control safe to use?

Looking for some advice from fellow southern folk. How are you all controlling those large cockroaches, often referred to as water bugs? You know the ones that are big enough to each your leg?

I have been noticing them a bit around my feeding buckets and mixed into the deep litter in one of my coops. I currently mix DE into the bedding of the coop and into the deep littler, which seems to keep them somewhat at bay. Any one use a spray they recommend? Is Bayer complete insect control safe to use?

feed them to your chickens

Quote:

lol, yeah I hear that. But I dont like seeing them crawling around the coop and the feeder at night when I check up on my girls.

Reminds me of Men in Black!

LMAO!!! I hear ya on that one.....Jay~
Well, well. Big, bad Bug got a bit of a soft spot, huh? What I can't understand is, why you gotta come down here bringing all this ruckus! Snatching up galaxies and everything. My attitude is: don't start nothing, won't BE nothing!

DE might eventually reduce the cockroaches...but it will also decimate a good portion of the organisms in your deep litter so it will take longer to break down and may turn it into an unpleasant environment.

You may have seen this thread, the second year covers adding DE to deep litter.

I just had the exterminator at my house today - darn roaches been so bad this year from the horrible rains! Well, the only place he didn't spray was the side of the house where I have employed two game chickens for pest control - the exterminator was impressed with how well they clean the place up!

There is a cockroach issue in my area, and they love spending time in my chicken run. I have turned the roaches into a game with my hens. I go out to the coop after dark with my flashlight and my 2 barred rocks immediately jump up and start playing the midnight snack game. I direct them towards roaches with the flashlight though they are quite groggy for the first minute or so. The first few times I tried to get them to play I had to drag one out of bed, after the 2nd night of that she got the idea as did her sister!

It didnt get rid of the issue, but at least the girls are enjoying them!

We callem Palmetto Bugs down here. They laugh @ Raid. They even laugh @ Chuck Norris.
Pour a bottle of Budweiser in an empty paint can and set it out where they are. Put a few pieces of dry dog food in there if you have any, that makes it work better. They crawl in but can't get back out and drown.
For the occasional one that gets in your house, so you don't have to tear your house apart trying to killem, a shot from a can of carburetor cleaner knocks them out instantly.
Due to the high price of rifle ammo we can't afford to go varmit hunting at night any more so instead you'll see us sneaking around barns & woodpiles @ night with a flashlight and a can of carburetor cleaner hunting Palmetto Bugs.
I'm serious.

Quote:

lol, yeah I hear that. But I dont like seeing them crawling around the coop and the feeder at night when I check up on my girls.

Reminds me of Men in Black!

I know exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes I see them on my back porch. *shivers*
One trick I know of is to sprinkle cheyenne (sp) pepper and/or cinnamon. I've heard it being used on doorways and window sills. I would sprinkle it around the feeders or around wherever you don't want them.
Another option would be to empty the feeders at night; if there's no food, they don't have any reason to be there.

Back
Top Bottom