cocks or pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mumma chook, Dec 15, 2015.

1. mumma chook

mumma chook New Egg

Nov 30, 2015
    Some help sexing please.

Here are some pictures of my 9 week old chooks. An araucana, a golden laced wyandotte and Plymouth Rock. What gender are they? Apart from crowing, by what age will I know for sure?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

2. showinbirds

showinbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    COLUMBUS, KS
    cockerels

3. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    9 weeks is old enough to be able to accurately sex them. Unfortunately, the Wyandotte and the barred rock are both cockerels. I can't see the araucana well enough to determine sex.

With barred rocks, females can only carry 1 copy of the barring gene. With just one copy, you'll have wider black stripes and narrower white ones. With two copies of the gene, you'll see wider white stripes and narrower black ones. Only males can be double barred. The lighter color of yours combined with the larger pink wattles and comb means cockerel for sure.

Wyandottes are trickier to sex with their rose combs. However, yours has a larger and more well defined comb than pullets at that age. I can also see the start of the shiny and pointed male saddle feathers coming in on the back between the wings.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

the Rock and the Wyandotte are both cockerels. Can't see the Aracauna.

Are you in the US, or the UK or Australia? Just trying to clarify what kind of Aracauna we're dealing with.....

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on donrae's post.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x3 on Donrae's post

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens